Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I was searching through old theads and I saw Jodies idea of a stand alone stanchion, which I made. Then I saw Michelle's use of a clear dowel at the base of the stanchion. I found some obsolete clear towel bars here at work (I work at a bathtub/shower manufacture) which work perfectly! (If anyone needs one, let me know).

I took my stanchion and towelbars to training Saturday, and Dooley was doing go outs at the full length of the ring we had set up! Of course we had been practicing at home for a few weeks, but all at training were impressed with the set up! But as I like to give credit where credit is due...THANK YOU! We are going to video tape the training next week, I'll post a video if we get a good one.

Edit to add: Here is the link with pictures for any who missed it:
http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/golden-retriever-agility-obedience/93376-more-training-go-outs.html

Reactions: Titan1 and Loisiana

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I hope you post up a video cause I cant picture it. I think I need to do a search of this stand alone stanchion.

Glad it worked out well.

·
Registered
21,103 Posts
you didn't ask for this advice, but I'm giving it anyway...do NOT accept anything less than a perfectly squared sit on the go-outs! It will come back to bite you in the butt big time when you are working on casting in field!! Ask me how I know this...

Reactions: DNL2448

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
you didn't ask for this advice, but I'm giving it anyway...do NOT accept anything less than a perfectly squared sit on the go-outs! It will come back to bite you in the butt big time when you are working on casting in field!! Ask me how I know this...
I don't need to ask, I can deduce what happened. However, your advice, solicited or not, is ALWAYS welcome! I don't know if it is Dooley's natural instinct or carryover from field, but he does have a pretty nice turn and sit. I will ensure that they are perfect, though from here on out!

·
Registered
21,103 Posts
I tended to ignore it with Tito, since he would take a directed jump from any position, even with his back turned to me facing the wall, he'd take the correct jump. His sits were usually "okay", but not perfectly square (he tends to face a little to his left) and now I'm having a beast of a time squaring him up in field.

·
Titan1
2,353 Posts
I used to think I was really lucky. Titan is a righty and will plant his right foot and spin around on that spot.. It was wonderful until he twisted his right outside nail completly off..OUCH!.. Glad to hear it is working for you..

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used to think I was really lucky. Titan is a righty and will plant his right foot and spin around on that spot.. It was wonderful until he twisted his right outside nail completly off..OUCH!.. Glad to hear it is working for you..
Ouch is right, poor baby! I'll bet that hurt. :(

This is such an awesome idea, Dooley loves getting the dowel and we play tug and fetch with it which makes doing the go-outs that much more fun. I did find that he is anticipating the sit, if I do two sits in a row. I'll just have to do more get-its in between...Unless someone has a better idea...I'm all ears!

I tought Brandy go-outs with a bumper on a chair. Everyone laughed at me (newbie utility trainer with novice A dog), but she did have great go outs, never failed them.

·
Titan1
2,353 Posts
I hope you post up a video cause I cant picture it. I think I need to do a search of this stand alone stanchion.

Glad it worked out well.
Well..... you could come see it in person on any Tuesday night..LOL!;)

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Reactions: Titan1
1 - 9 of 9 Posts