Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought my Max might have swallowed a brown stretchy dress sock after I took it from him early, heard him make a sound and couldn't find the sock. I remember reading here several times to give the dog hydrogen peroxide to make him throw up so I gave him a few swallows. Then I read the directions and it says if ingested call poison control. So I'm in even more of a panic that I rush here, Max comes in drinks a lot and comes into the living room. I'm typing HELP ME PLEASE!!! DID I POISON MY DOG?? when he starts throwing up ALLLL over and I think, okay, I did give him the right thing. 1 puke. No sock. 2 pukes. No sock. 3 pukes - OMG there is the sock!!!!!

Thank you so much to whomever gave that advice and knowledge as you saved my Max from a possible clogging - I can't think of the right name...which is life threatening. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!! And now, I will take the sock danger VERY seriously. He's played with them all his life - he stealing them, us taking them away. We need to make a safe system for our socks and our dog. Again, with the deepest gratitude - thank you and thank this forum for being here to give us such knowledge and to be there for us when we are in a panic.

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
OH I am so glad that the sock came up!! We had some close calls with Bailey and my panties when she was a wee pup...she would just inhale them at any chance she got. Luckily she always threw them up on her own...but not before being very uncomfortable first. I shudder at the "what ifs"! Very quickly we learned that socks/underwear are hazardous items, and absolutely can NEVER be available to the dogs. I keep my room a whole lot neater now :)

·
Registered
10,479 Posts
I remember years ago, a beautiful champion stud dog who died as a result of ingesting a sock, and another who died as a result of a Nerf ball. Good job getting that sock up!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Wow quick thinking on your part, so pleased Max brought the sock up but can imagine your panic after reading that, I have seen posts about giving this but don't know what strength or how much so would be to frightened to try it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
So glad to hear Max is ok now. Puppies are a handful:) Hopefully, his belly feels better now. He's too cute.

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
Thank God!!! The word is 'obstruction' and every owner's nightmare! My sister's Golden Sandy ate copious amounts of underwear. We were always locking laundry away from her, but she always managed to find a pair of underwear. Well, she ended up needing surgery. Very scary and expensive. The next time she did it, we fed her the Hydrogen Peroxide and up came the undies, parts of a leash, other bits of fabric, etc. Some of our beloved's will eat anything!

Glad Max is fine.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Glad he got that sock up! I have a major sock eater in my house *ahem yes Dillon I am talking about YOU* and while he's always been able to pass them out one end or another on his own lol I still worry a lot. Half the time I don't even know he's swallowed one until it comes out!! He has seemed to stop that annoying habit though, now that we are so much more diligent about not leaving laundry laying around too.

Just do be careful though with the HP to induce vomiting. On a sock its a great "tool" to have at our disposal but on other things they can swallow, like something with sharp or pointy edges, it may cause more harm than good coming back up. It may be a good idea to keep the vet or ER vet's number handy to get some advice on particular items at a moment's notice.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your replies, advice and concern. This site and the members are really such a great resource - I don't know how Max and I would survive puppyhood without it!! Thanks again!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts