Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Gold Member
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and everyone else on rachel's diagnosis with hip displaysia....she has been taking dasaquin for about a week and the dog gone pain pills for two days and what a difference, she is back to playing and even leaped up today while playing...thank you Ardeagold for the info on the website and these pills...she is a different dog! I am so happy!

·
Gold Member
3,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Betty I am amazed, she is acting like a puppy again...I know she still has the bad hips but she is acting like they are not are bothering her...she even went down in the basement and she hasn't wanted to try those steps in a long time, they are small steps...I had tears in my eyes watching her play today...my baby girl was playing like she had no pain...

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Wonderful, wonderful news!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
That is wonderful news. Just dont let her overdue it. Like my vet said when Bama got hurt, the pills make them feel better and they dont feel pain and may overdue it. Hope they keep working and she can live without having the surgery.

·
Maryland
2,806 Posts
Just saw this and I'm so happy she's already feeling good. It can often take a week, but sometimes it's much quicker, as in your case! I'm glad for that.

I'd let her do what she wants...but, of course, not promote anything like jumping, etc. HD isn't like an injury. Generally if they're in pain, they'll self limit. Many many dogs do quite well for life with just awful hips...no sockets.

The more she walks, swims, trots, (especially in sand or up and down hills) the stronger the muscles will get that hold the hips together, and that's what you want.

The problem with the pain of HD is that they get no exercise and they get muscle wasting in the rear, making them weaker. In this instance, no pain is good. I'd try to start setting up a walking regimen, at her own pace, and try to extend it a little each day. Like I said, hills are wonderful...and sand....and of course, if you can, get her swimming.

You may find that she's in a tiny bit more pain, and less likely to want to walk on rainy/damp/extremely cold days. That's normal. Joints ache in that kind of weather for many of us. LOL

Oh..don't forget the Ester C! It helps to reduce inflammation which causes pain. But you have to give her enough...between 1500 and 2000 mg per day. Build up to that amount slowly, tho. Over about 4 weeks. And if she gets diarrhea right after you move up a 500mg dose, back down to the former level. (That's called dosing to tolerance)

You'll have to keep her on this for life, as long as it's working for her, and I hope it works and she's pain free for many many years to come!

I LOVE the DGP/EsterC/Cosequin DS combo (or the Dausequin...which has more in it than the Cosequin DS). It works great! And speaking of it....I need to order more DGP. I go through quite a bit of it because of the Newf. I have two on it...Sasha, the 13 yr old Golden, and Addie Mae the 6.5 year old Newf. Addie had a torn ACL about 5 mos ago, and the DGP did wonders for her. She self-limited, never over did it, but it's made her comfortable and is currently at about 90%. She never had surgery...and is doing great!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts