Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so grateful for frozen kongs and exercise! I am working on a master's degree and it is a crazy time of year for me with final papers due. Maya hasn't been getting the attention she is used to. Yesterday I didn't have a chance to bring her to the dog park and she had a rough day. She kept bringing one toy after another and putting them on my laptop keyboard and looking at me with those sad puppy eyes. I felt so guilty! :( She looked bored out of her mind and ready to crawl out of her skin. It made it hard for me to get anything done because she kept hitting keys on the keyboard with her chin. Today, I was determined to do a better job with her. So I took her to the dog park for an hour in spite of the near-zero windchill temperatures. She got to walk, play with another dog (there was only one because it was so cold!), and retrieve with the chuck-it. She got a good hour of exercise and was very tired out afterward. She has been sleeping in her crate (with the door open) for most of the afternoon and evening. I also made some frozen kongs for her with her dinner kibble and canned pumpkin and banana. At dinner time, I gave her one kong at a time to work on. It took her almost 2 hours to eat her dinner from the kongs! So I have been able to get my work done and she is a happy puppy. It is amazing what some exercise and some frozen kongs can do. :) I used to freeze her kongs all the time when she was really little, but I haven't for a while. It makes such a big difference in the amount of time it takes! It would have taken her probably 20 minutes to eat 3 kongs that weren't frozen. Instead it took almost 2 hours. I just wanted to pass along the tip to others who might need puppy-free time! It also is very true that a tired puppy is a good puppy.

·
Kristy
10,422 Posts
Thank you so much for that one.... I'll definitely file it away for future reference! So you just mixed canned pumpkin in a bowl with her kibble, stuffed the kong and then froze it and gave it to her frozen solid? Genius :) You sound like an awesome puppy-mama!

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I'm glad you found the secret to getting some time to work on your Masters. Puppies can be very persistent. I've been trying to get my two used to me working from home again. Today was the first day this week that I think they have got it.

·
Eleanor's Mom
599 Posts
I also use the frozen kong trick. I fill mine with a mixture of broken up treats or kibble and peanut butter. Keeps Eleanor occupied for a long time. It was really good when she was teething because the cold helped her teeth feel better.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for that one.... I'll definitely file it away for future reference! So you just mixed canned pumpkin in a bowl with her kibble, stuffed the kong and then froze it and gave it to her frozen solid? Genius :) You sound like an awesome puppy-mama!
You can do it several ways. I used to put boiling water over her kibble and mash it with other food, but now I do it the lazy way. I just alternate layers of kibble, then either canned pumpkin or banana. I'm sure you could also just mash it together first. I've also used plain yogurt, peanut butter, rice and boiled hamburger (for an upset stomach), copped apple, and small pieces of celery as frozen kong ingredients. I just always make sure to have something like pumpkin or banana that is mushy and will freeze hard and make it stick together. They are amazing!

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I just started another thread in Main Discussion about the wonders of frozen kongs. They are life savers for sure! I'm headed out to buy another one (or two) to have ready and frozen.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I just finished my master's last weekend, and one other tip that got me through it with the kong was freezing yogurt. We also love the pumpkin trick! I also switched from creamy peanut butter to low-fat chunky peanut butter. Seems to take a little longer to get out.

Good luck on your studies!!! It is SO worth it in the end!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I love kongs but have never heard of freezing them, very good to know. Will have to try the pumpkin for my shepherd as he get's a little gassy with peanut butter. Brody our new golden puppy just loves the kong filled with peanut butter and some kibble.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the post! I've been using the Kong filled with peanut butter with our 8 week old and she goes crazy for it. I never thought about freezing it with some kibble :doh: but will try that as she is turning out to be a first rate chewer already. She likes the rawhide bones too, but the Kong really keeps her occupied longernwhen she's in the crate.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Even if you dont mash the kibble into mush....but just get it wet...the kibble pieces will stick together enough to make it a challenge...as the water on the kibble thawas the pieces will loosen up...and fall out as they play with it...

I worry about creating a vacuum when I stuff a kong too tight...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts