Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Can anyone share experience regarding HODGES' HEAVENLY GOLDENS? Carla Hodges in Lovelady Tx is the breeder. 30 years breeding goldens but I didn't see any mention here on the forum.
Thanks!

·
Kristy
9,166 Posts
No no no. No mention of health clearances, no registered names of the dogs so that you can verify health clearances independently, no mention of any hobby where they show their dogs in conformation or obedience or field work or other performance venues. No mention of raising their puppies in their home that I could find. Plenty of photos of puppies in pens with rusting corrugated metal and trash. Yuck. I suspect you can do better than this breeder but you would need to ask for registered names of the breeding dogs for anyone here to help you verify the clearances for heart by cardiologist, hips and elbows and the required yearly eye clearance.

·
Maegan
435 Posts
I don't have any experience with them, but they would be a no for me based on their AKC Marketplace ad. Red flags for me personally include: Use of the term "English Cream", meeting buyers so that they can choose their puppy, lack of clearances for parents, calling the pups "white", etc. Both of the parents on the current litter only have hip clearances, therefore they are missing elbows, heart, and eyes. Once you go to the OFA website more of their dogs show up in relation to the parents and none of them have all of the core clearances, so it's not that they just haven't sent in the paperwork, they historically do not do all clearances. If I was the one looking for a puppy, I would scratch them off of my list and move on.

Did you ever contact the other breeders that some of us recommended on a previous thread?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I received a few nice emails - some that included breeder recommendations. Some didn't have puppies and other breeder websites had not been updated in years although I still appreciated the suggestions.

·
Maegan
435 Posts
Are you willing to go out of state? My breeder is in AR, I know it's a long drive (I make it several times a year from Houston), but she is amazing. She does all clearances, genetic testing, shows in conformation, does hunt tests, and also does lure coursing occasionally. She is an amazing person. Always there for any of us that have a puppy from her. Here is a link to her Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Arkgold-Home-of-Golden-Retriever-Dream-Dogs-heartofgoldpupscom-215493342120/

She doesn't have much info on her dogs on her website anymore, but you can find out more about her as a person and her contact information. Welcome

She will always provide copies of clearances, but most - if not all - are on the OFA website.

·
Puddles
3,399 Posts
Many good breeders don't even have a web site or have the time to update them. Don't dismiss them because of this. Contact them, call them, talk with them at shows if possible. Contact the local Golden Retriever Club... Get on a waiting list, it's worth the wait.
Most really good breeders already have buyers before the dogs are bred as well as waiting list so don't expect to find pups available, it happens but not often.
If you can reach a good breeder in the area they will let you know if someone else has a litter available but this is a process and it will take time.

Clearances should be on file with OFA for all to see and shouldn't have to ask for copies. The 4 core you are looking for are hips/elbows/heart by cardiologist & eyes within the last 12 months.
Prelims are NOT final clearances so don't let anyone tell you they are. Dogs should have full clearances and be over 2 before they are bred. Happy hunting!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you willing to go out of state? My breeder is in AR, I know it's a long drive (I make it several times a year from Houston), but she is amazing. She does all clearances, genetic testing, shows in conformation, does hunt tests, and also does lure coursing occasionally. She is an amazing person. Always there for any of us that have a puppy from her. Here is a link to her Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Arkgold-Home-of-Golden-Retriever-Dream-Dogs-heartofgoldpupscom-215493342120/

She doesn't have much info on her dogs on her website anymore, but you can find out more about her as a person and her contact information. Welcome

She will always provide copies of clearances, but most - if not all - are on the OFA website.
I had not initially considered going out of state but I'm open minded. I grew up in Mountain Home Arkansas and still have relatives and friends there. We actually had been planning to visit soon. Combining an ozark visit with an adoption would be a pretty awesome trip! I can see why you've chosen that breeder. Their program and setup look top notch and the dogs I saw are beautiful. I did wish they had some photos of the dogs in their breeding program but what a nice website.
I really appreciate the referral.

·
Maegan
435 Posts
@Roodog22 I grew up in Rose Bud, AR (just south of Heber Springs) and I always loved going to/through Mountain Home. It's beautiful! Marissa is in Russellville. She grew up in NWA and we both went to the U of A, so both being Razorbacks also helped connect us. I don't think she has any litters planned until later this fall, but if you do go on an Ozark visit, you can always coordinate a visit with her in Russellville and meet her dogs. :)

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,828 Posts
I’m curious if anyone has recent experience with Hodges Heavenly Goldens?
Welcome,

This thread is from 2018, not sure if there is any more info on this breeder or not.
You can do a search for Texas Breeders, even this one, using the Forum Search Feature to see if any threads come up. I know there are some threads about TX Breeders but not sure if there are about this specific breeder.

You may want to check with your local GR Club for a Breeder/Puppy Referral-

TEXAS
Austin Golden Retriever Club – Austin TX 78701
Dallas-Fort Worth Metro GRC – Dallas TX 75201
Greater Houston GRC – Houston TX 77002

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome,

This thread is from 2018, not sure if there is any more info on this breeder or not.
You can do a search for Texas Breeders, even this one, using the Forum Search Feature to see if any threads come up. I know there are some threads about TX Breeders but not sure if there are abou this specific breeder.

You may want to check with your local GR Club for a Breeder/Puppy Referral-

TEXAS
Austin Golden Retriever Club – Austin TX 78701
Dallas-Fort Worth Metro GRC – Dallas TX 75201
Greater Houston GRC – Houston TX 77002

Good luck with your search.
Thank you so much for your help and suggestions

·
Registered
233 Posts
They are still breeding underage dogs and barely any healthy exams. The two litters currently posted are out of littermate sisters (each with just hip exam) bred to different dogs, but one of the litters is sired by a boy who won't be 2 yrs until July 2020. There are many other (and better) options out there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts