Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Boo's mommy
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if anyone else has a puppy with undescended testicles.
Boo turns 10 weeks old on friday, and he has, not 1, but 2 undescended testicles! We knew this when we got him from the breeder and her vet said that maybe 1 would eventually descend but she doubted that both would. His next vet appointment is on the 19th, we'll see what she says then...
Has anyone else had this experience before?

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
It isn't very common to have both testicles remain undescended. More often you hear of one testicle being retained, but it is still something undesirable. It does have a genetic component as I understand it. The neuter will be more like a spay when the time comes to have him neutered. It is nothing to worry about as a pet puppy. Some vets will also rush you to neuter him prematurely. Please read this article about cryptorchidism in this article by Rhonda Hovan, which is specifically about the Golden Retriever. It is very informative, I suggest printing it and taking a copy to your next veterinary appointment.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
My 6 month old has both testicles retained. I consulted with my vet and my breeders vet and they said we were fine to wait and neuter at 1 year per the breeder contract. I do understand that the neuter will be more invasive. Other than that he is growing and developing just fine.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Casey had one undescended testicle. We waited until he was just over 2 years old to neuter him. Yes, the surgery was more invasive as they had to "retrieve" the testicle from his abdomen. He had no problems with the surgery, and no problems in that regard throughout his life until he recently went to the rainbow bridge at age 13 years 2 months (hemangiosarcoma).

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Coops testicles didn't fully descend until he was 22 wks old then were so tiny you had to "search" for them. After they descended there were times when he would be up and playing and up they went, or when it was cool outside, but let him come in and relax and down they came. By 10 wks I had 2 Vets check him to be sure they were there, cause I couldn't find them. They told us to keep waiting and sure enough after he was 4 1/2 mo they came down, stayed and are easily felt.

At 10 wks if the Vet can feel there are two testicles, I would wait a bit and see. I know "I" was much more worried than my Vets were about this.

·
Boo's mommy
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! that eases my worries a bit. I guess it's mostly the surgery that i worry about, i hope everything will go well, cause i realize it's more invasive than a normal neuter. Thank you for the article by Rhonda Hovan, very informative. My husband and I have already agreed to wait till Boo is at least 1 year old, and that's what the breeder also recommended. I realize we can't wait too much past 1 year if his testicles haven't descended yet cause of the elevated cancer risk. I'll keep my fingers crossed that they'll descend soon!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts