Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have an 8 month old puppy, male, named Conway. His testicles have ways just been a furry little mound underneath his penis. Yesterday he was full of energy as always and seemingly fine. This morning, he was pretty lethargic, which isn’t entirely unusual as sometimes he’s just that way in the morning, but typically back to full energy by the afternoon. We noticed about 2 hours after being up and about, he was sitting down And laying very slowly and then happened to notice that his testicles are huge and instead of being the small mound of fur it had been, look like grown man, fully developed testicles. He has recently started lifting his leg to urinate. The fur around his testicles looks as though he’s been licking them, though we haven’t seen that activity today, so we’re thinking he did that over night. He’s not whining and doesn’t appear to be in pain aside from the fact that he is taking his time while sitting or laying and he’s been very lazy all day. He does appear to have two fully descended testicles and has let us touch and inspect them with no issue. Is this normal? Anyone else experienced anything like this?

·
Registered
9,668 Posts
I'm accustomed to them being down from about 6-7 weeks and growing along w the dog.
At 8 weeks, they're about 7-8 mm, by 12 weeks, 9-10 mm...
I actually helped with a UGA study on testicular circumference once, for a few months, and dogs' testes do vary but not enormously within a breed. Goldens are around the size of a ping pong ball but I 've seen them as big as an orange- that is distractingly large and that dog actually has testicular masses now, so (haha) breeder thinks I'm super observant to have noted them 2 years ago. It's just that that size is not normal, which is why I noticed them.
If your boy's testes were not in his scrotum, it might seem they grew when in reality they just moved into place. But if you truly believe they 'grew' overnight, rather than entered his scrotum, you need to see the vet because I cannot think of a time anyone has ever noted that that I remember, and it's something we talk about in my circle of friends.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts