Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last three days Tesses stools have been very inconsistent, from soft to liquid to reasonably firm to soft etc etc. I've given her pumpkin and that does seem to work, however, she continues to fall back when I stop giving it. She's playful enough and still eats about 1/2 cup per meal, but she's not really interested in her food. She drinks enough, wants her icecubes, so I'm not worried about that. I have to go to the vet on Monday, so I will certainly ask her about this and take a stool sample, but is there anything I can do for her to get her bowels a bit settled? Given the amount of grass, dirt and other yucky things she likes to eat from the ground, it's no wonder her bowels are irritated, but I would like to make her a bit more comfortable.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Feed her chicken and rice or boiled hamburger and rice.

We are going through the same thing here with MacKenzie. It has been a little over 2 weeks of this cycle. The vet did a fecal (today), and everything is fine, so we are just giving her a bland diet for the next 3 days and have her on Metronidazole for the next ten. Hers all started with eating a stick of butter, and who knows what else from counter surfing. These things sometimes take a while to get the bacterias in their stomachs adjusted back to normal.

Vet said today was a busy day for this type of problem.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Some dog foods are too rich for puppies and adult dogs. Do you think this is part of the bacterial issue she had or has this always been the case? She was on antibiotics too, right?

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The antibiotics were because she had been vomiting 8 times...this is new. But as I said, her mouth is always on the ground, there's almost no way to have a 'clean' walk with her...She's very good, by the way, she comes and tells me she has to go out, runs to the door and out she goes...poor baby...

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
I've been pretty lucky when it comes to them having loose stools. The only time my two had issues is when they got too many green beans. The other times there has been an issue is when they used to get pigs ears. Tucker's stool would be slimy. Pumpkin really never did much for my two.

If I want Tucker to keep his head off the ground while outside, all I have to do is have something really wonderful in my pocket, but he has to know what is in my pocket. If the head goes down and he's called, he runs!

Have you added anything new to her diet? Did she maybe chew one of the houseplants, if you have houseplants? The boiled rice and (chicken or hamburger) does help unsettled stomachs.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I'm in the same situation. I tried to switch to a more "premium" food, and messed up Josie's poor tummy. Even the old food wasn't sitting well with her. I've been feeding her boiled hamburger and white rice (3 parts rice to 1 part hamburger) for a few days, and yesterday I started adding a little kibble to it. So far so good. I've also heard pumpkin is good, and I froze some in her Kong and gave her that today. We'll see how tommorow goes.:crossfing
The hamburger and rice worked almost immediately. The only bad part is how much she loves it, I doubt she's going to want to go back to dry food. I'm going to take it really slow with the kibble. I feel like I caused this whole problem, I want to make it as easy for her as I can!
Good luck with your little girl!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
You need to let the tummy settle down. If you can wait a couple of meals to feed her and then give the hamburger and rice. Then slowly introduce the kibble back with the rice.
When you take her outside are you using a leash? If not then you might consider that since she is eating so much stuff outside. That way you can guide her on where to go.

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When you take her outside are you using a leash?

She is always on the leash...she's just so quick, with her tongue brushing the street or some water...We are working very hard on 'leave it' and she is getting better!

·
Registered
643 Posts
When you take her outside are you using a leash?

She is always on the leash...she's just so quick, with her tongue brushing the street or some water...We are working very hard on 'leave it' and she is getting better!
I call Josie a goat, she will eat anything!!! Sometimes when she picks up a leaf, I'll just let her have it because I figure it's better than a rock or trash. I know how quick they can be though. I feel like I'm always watching her mouth while I'm walking her. I feel your pain here!

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Is Tess very food motivated? I ask this not because of her current issue, but having a dog that is food obsessed (not a food opportunist) makes their owners be 10 steps ahead of them. It's not easy. Tucker is a joy, but boy I was and still am, always on my toes!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts