Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's normal, but she is into everything with nose and mouth. My grass seems to be especially nice and smelly, she goes crazy when I take her to the garden. Picks up stones, leaves, branches, acorns, poop, grass, and dozens of things I even didn't know were there. She doesn't like it when I open her mouth and remove it, but so far she doesn't connect the 1. I eat something I shouldn't and 2. Mom is sticking her finger in my mouth and telling me off...Pretty normal, I know, but I wonder when I can start walking upright again:doh:

·
Registered
508 Posts
I know it's normal, but she is into everything with nose and mouth. My grass seems to be especially nice and smelly, she goes crazy when I take her to the garden. Picks up stones, leaves, branches, acorns, poop, grass, and dozens of things I even didn't know were there. She doesn't like it when I open her mouth and remove it, but so far she doesn't connect the 1. I eat something I shouldn't and 2. Mom is sticking her finger in my mouth and telling me off...Pretty normal, I know, but I wonder when I can start walking upright again:doh:
That is just to funny, lets hope you can start walking upright soon and that you don't end up hunched over forever!

·
A Deputy and his dog
167 Posts
One of the first and MOST important commands I taught Moose was Los, a dutch command for drop. Works so well if I tell it to him while he is eating a pile of food will spill out of his mouth, funny.

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She's already heard "los!" more than any other commands! But I'm a bit unsure about the language for commands, as she will go to puppy training and learn the English words. But "los" has definitely entered my vocabulary!

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
I found that a "uh-uh" works well too... Bailey can just be going towards an object and if I go "uh-uh" she doesn't dare take another step towards it...I think it's a harsh sound, so it makes it pretty effective!

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,079 Posts
My puppies are 9 months and 11 months and I'm still hunched over alot of the time!!! I taught both of them "leave it" and "don't touch" and those seem to work. We used treats as a training tool and for the most part, they'll leave "it" alone with one of those phrases. It's actually catching them "taking it" that's the tough part (they have a thing for garbage cans)!!!

·
A Deputy and his dog
167 Posts
Oh trash can parties used to be Moose's favorite. As he's gotten older he's learned that mom doesn't really appreciate them the way he does. I just use Los as a novelty, we had a K-9 drug dog that was from Holland so we trained him in Dutch. It became second nature to use those commands for me so I've trained all my dogs that way. I agree that using an edge in your voice does help drive the point home.

Another tactic I used was carrying around a spray bottle with water and enough vinegar in it to make it not tasty. When he would pick up something that he wasn't supposed to I'd give him a little squirt. Cleared up the problem quickly.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Ah, she's following in Tucker's footsteps. We lovingly call him potty mouth! The money I have spent on him is not for medical issues,but for Animal Poison Control. He's eaten a 36 inch webbed leather belt (he left me the buckle) packing peanuts, an economy pack of Hostess Chocolate Cupcakes wrapper and all. Let's see, a brillo pad, wild mushrooms, Q-tips, half a jar of vasaline (sp) and a thermacare heat wrap. I haven't named everything, but they do get better as they get older. If it's not food, he brings me what he grabs now...

Hoping you will be walking upright and standing tall soon!

·
Registered
774 Posts
We use the "leave it" command and Duffy is good about 50% of the time.

About two weeks ago, when I let him in from the yard, he had in his mouth what appeared to be a clump of dried leaves with a small stick hanging off them. I grabbed at the stick, but I knew it would break off without me getting the clump of leaves so I tried the "leave it" command while gently trying to pry them out of his mouth.

Lucky for me, he did loosen his grip and I pulled out of his mouth - a stiff, half decomposed mouse! EEEEWWWWW. If you know how I feel about mice, you have to know how grossed out I was. I had it in my HAND....!!!

YECCH. Yeah, thanks a lot, Duffy.

Working harder on that 'leave it' command....
Kris

Edited to add: the "stick" was the mouse's tail.....eeeeewwwwww

·
Registered
643 Posts
Josie is the same way!!! Its so frustrating sometimes, I just want to play, and she wants to eat everything! How can a rock taste good? And mulch, don't get me started on mulch! I don't get it. I must say, the Leave it command comes in very handy these days!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts