Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Deanie boy is almost 5 months old and pretty much the best dog I've ever had, except for his love of tennis ball fuzz. I recently bought him a big ball from the pet store and he proceeded to eat the fuzz off of it, I got most of it away from him but he did swallow some. Can eating the fuzz cause intestinal blockages or can he digest it enough to pass it safely?

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,580 Posts
Lol! I can't tell you how many Goldens I've had that have enjoyed de-fuzzing tennis balls. :) I don't think there is a risk of blockage. But what I have heard some folks say is that the fuzz is actually really abrasive, and can actually sand the enamel off their teeth. I don't know how big a risk that really is, though.

Reactions: Dallas Gold

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
We use the Chuck-it rubber balls instead.

Reactions: JayBen

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have the same issue with my two. I took the inside tennis balls away because the fuzz became an obsession. I did buy a few different types of rubber balls but they have not gone over well. We did put a tennis ball in an old sock for out and indoor play and they seem to like that better but that's still not saying much because they will play with anything we drop on the floor.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Lol! I can't tell you how many Goldens I've had that have enjoyed de-fuzzing tennis balls. :) I don't think there is a risk of blockage. But what I have heard some folks say is that the fuzz is actually really abrasive, and can actually sand the enamel off their teeth. I don't know how big a risk that really is, though.
My Toby damaged his enamel from tennis ball fuzz. That fuzz is like sandpaper to their teeth unfortunately.

OP, some tennis balls can explode when punctured; however, and that can harm your dog. Plus they can break off pieces of the ball and ingest those, which cause blockage issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts