Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I just wanted to get some of you more experienced Golden parents' input

we adopted our 2 year old Golden from her breeder 7 months ago. she had been returned to the Breeder for 2 weeks as her previous elderly owner had died and his wife couldn't keep her (don't know the story behind it)

her breeder is well known and trusted.

we know very little about how Annie was treated by her previous owners aside from that she was only used to outdoors and wasnt used to indoors or cars - that leads us to believe the elderly gentleman never brought her indoors as she is very timid when confronted with a new building to go into... she is very comfortable in our home now and sleeps indoors with us, but still is nervous of other places.

from our walking her its apparent that she never got long walks and shes quite jumpy around silly things like bags rattling etc however very brave when it comes to barking at cows or sheep and also isn't afraid of other dogs!

she's petrfied of the car and my husband has to lift her into it, we're still working on short journeys and hoping in time she settles more, one of us always sits with her in the car.

These are all things we're working on and getting to grisp with, and we understand that it will take her time to get used to her new home, technically shes ony spent a quarter of her life with us so far and I get that

on the flip side she is the sweetest girl, very loving, loves to be groomed, loves to eat, loves to sleep, especially with her cute face smushed again you

however there has been some little negative behavioural traits coming out of late in regards to walking or going outside.

when my husband and I walk her together she generally walks well, we have begun using a harness as she tends to pull and within the past week of using it the difference is amazing, however on the walk back when she tires a little she starts to just stop, and refuses to move. I've tried treats (which 80% of the time works if you take a high quality treat like sausage or chicken), positive reinforcement, waiting, she would happily stand and stare us down, so i look away, it always ends with me gtg frustrated and her still sitting. if my husband and i are together we can generally get her moving if he puts his arm around me and we start walking as she likes to be with us for a hug, but if i or my husband walk her alone, we're sunk. last night mu husband walked her and she stopped and refused to move for 20 minutes. he got very agitated and i know that won't help, but its hard not to, as it was a very wet night!! and he'd rather stupidly on his part forgot to take treats.

Annie has a taste for poo and there is 2 ares on the road we walk her on that generally have sheep poo that she 'll try to get to, I always try to walk her on the other side of the road but she likes to stop there if i try to move her as she knows fine well where it is.

She also can be quote obstinate when we let her outside and then if we try to bring her back in she 'll sometimes just stand and watch us and not move again, she does this at the front door an awful lot.

We've been working on clicker training and I think we haven't been as faithful as we should lately as we're both so busy at work too, and so she seems to have developed her own little mind, she used to come everytime we called and now sometimes she'll just lie and ignore us lol unless we've a high value treat again.

Please understand, she is a lovely gentle girl, loves people but I also see her as quite independent, I'm not annoyed about that, I know that if she was left to it on her own quite a bit as a pup that she probably is happy sometimes to be alone to chill and is used to it, and I certainly dont expect her to come to our house and change, but the walking and lack of listening to us when it suits her, is not something i want to stay... she needs to listen to us when we walk her and I wondered if anyone has any tips, or had they the same issues with their golden... is it something she'll grow out of when she gets older and more used to us... or should I be doing something to help eradicate this behaviour?

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
I understand your concerns and your 'frustration' with Annie's behavior, it sounds to me like Annie's behavior may be fear/anxiety based largely due to lack of socialization - experiences with the real world, as a pup/young dog. Being kept in the backyard, she has never had the opportunity to see different things, experience the world, and learn what is 'safe' and what is not and long walks are overwhelming (too much) for her, right now.

She has a long history of not being allowed in the house, hard to say what may have happened when her previous owners opened the door, was he or coming out for a nice visit? was he happy to see her? or perhaps upset at her behavior and prone to reprimanding her? So she is not able to trust , does not know yet, what to expect from you and your husband. Not coming when called may be an indication as to what her history has been, what the sound of that word predicts for her, in her past home has 'coming' meant good things or not so good things for her?

Take some time to learn about dog body language, how they communicate how they are feeling about a situation or environment they are in. The book: On Talking Terms with Dogs by Turid Rugaas, is a good resource for this. Learning what she is 'saying' can help provide the 'basics' to understanding how she is 'feeling'. The book: Love Has No Age Limit Welcoming an Adopted Dog into Your Home by Patricia McConnell may also be helpful to you. The website 'Fearful Dogs' by Debbie Jacobs (or the Facebook group by the same name may be helpful in guiding you with working with Annie.

I understand that this is not what you expected when you gave Annie a home, things are much different than you anticipated they might be. Annie is a 'mystery', she is lacking the early socialization with the real world that most dogs have the benefit of and that is likely where a lot of the 'stubborn' is coming from, but with your help she will be able to over come.

Take a moment to consider what it might be like for you, if you had been kept in at home for years, and suddenly you are out in an 'alien' world, everything is new, confusing and scary for you, you have no idea what this or that is, no idea what is safe or dangerous. It would take some time and lots of positive exposure and experiences for you to feel comfortable and safe in the world.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Charliethree for all your advice, I have purchased this book off amazon just this second and look forward to giving it a read, thanks for all your help... I will certainly continue to be as patient as I can and just love her and help her to come out of herself when she's ready!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts