Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
My name is Telly. My fiance and I got our lil girl, Sophie, about 6 weeks ago. She is almost 4 months old (born May 4), and has been a joy to have....for the most part. We also have a boston terrier, Bella, who is such a wonderful big sister to Sophie. We all reside in sunny San Diego, California.
For the past few weeks, Sophie and I have really bonded as I am with her almost all the time. We are even finishing up a STAR Puppy class, which I am not impressed with, and actually I prefer to learn from YouTube videos online (especially impressed with ones by "Kikopup"). Although she can be mischevious sometimes, I can honestly say that I am extremely happy with her progress.
I am also intrigued with how similar dog behaviors are to human behaviors. I majored in psychology with an emphasis in behaviors psychology at UCSD, and have also worked several years in Early Childhood Intervention using Applied Behavioral Anaysis, which is extremely similar to positive reinforcement training (my preferred training method....usually). My fiance and I quickly learned that restraint and punishment (scolding, yelling, etc) was ineffective and caused Sophie to be aggressive. We learned that it was much better to give a calm informational cue ("uh oh", "no thank you," etc) and redirect her to something appropriate.
Anyways, my primary goal is to raise a happy, healthy, well-behaved dog. But I must admit that I am also really curious of Sophie's capabilities and how smart she can be. But I'm not professional dog trainer, we'll see how well an amature dog trainer can do from Youtube videos. :p:

Here's a link to some pics and videos of our adventure together so far: https://picasaweb.google.com/104156...authkey=Gv1sRgCOvCnKmt1Nfb5AE&feat=directlink

Oh, and if any from the SD area is interested in having a playdate, contact me!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sophie and Bella are so gorgeous!

I also think the youtube videos are great. Our friend that is also a dog trainer helped us with Sadie for a few weeks, and her positive reinforcement methods are similar in style to some of the videos. It's fun to teach her new tricks from there...

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Your girls are darling. I love your captions too. It's the beginning of a new adventure as you watch your little one learn and grow. Enjoy each day!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts