Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Steve & Snoopy
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm a nervous dad, but I have to ask the experts about teething as I haven't been able to find any answers online.

My boy is 5 months old now & in the height of his teething. He's been great at not chewing inappropriate items, but it seems like all he wants to do is chew on 2 soft fabric balls. He doesn't really like playing fetch any more and gets pretty lethargic at times. Everything else seems to be good - normal poops, eats like a horse, happy to see everyone.

I wonder if I just have a very mellow boy (which would be nice,) but it still worries me especially after his rough start with a month & a half of diarrhea.

Did anyone else have a lay-about when they were teething? Should I expect my active pup back once the teething is done?

·
Kim & Flora
6,104 Posts
He might just be having a growth spurt that is tiring him out physically. I guess you could always check with your vet to make sure he's not ailing from something else, though.

I'm sure other members will have better advice. :)

·
Registered
819 Posts
Scarlett teethed and had a growth spurt about the same time. We dubbed her the moody shark. It'll pass. You might to see if its the gums thats causing her lethargy. run a tiny dab of orajel on his gums where theyre inflamed. See It that helps the lil guy.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
The teething can make them moody. Try taking a wash cloth and wet it then freeze it. then let him chew on it. Or a frozen carrot. Make sure to put a towel down because it can become messy as it melts

·
Steve & Snoopy
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll be thrilled if he's a mellow guy. Of course, wanting that, but being nervous about puppy health doesn't always mix. I know I'm being overly paranoid, but I've never been through puppyhood before. I always adopted adult dogs.

Moody is the best description for him lately. I've tried the frozen washcloth - didn't want it, ice cubes - doesn't want them, special cloth teething bone...nope - he likes his squishy balls, so I'll go with that.

I tied up an old sock tonight, watered it down & threw it in the freezer. We'll see how he likes that tomorrow - socks appear to be one of his favorite things. (Don't worry - we're wearing heavy winter socks here & they're way too big for him to swallow.)

He is having a growth spurt - he's all legs & looks like a spider.

Thank you everyone - I'm chalking it up to teething & growth making him tired and blue.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts