Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was just walking up the stairs and stopped to say hi to my boy, Max, who was at the top of the stairs, and I smelled something that literally smelled like a garbage can. So in trying to figure out if he had eaten something, I noticed that it was unfortunately his teeth.

His front teeth are nice and white and clean, but the rear teeth are yellowing and obviously not in as good health as the front teeth are. The thing is, I can't give him most of the chewy/bone/rawhide type things that usually will clean their teeth because he has a beef allergy.

Does anyone know of any good teeth cleaner chews or products that are for dogs with beef allergies? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Our breeder gives her dogs raw chicken wings, which she claims does a great job cleaning their teeth. We have not yet tried it with our pup, so I can't personally vouch for the wings' effectiveness.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I use the petzlife spray on the goldens and the gel on Cody ( he doesn't like the spray). It works WONDERS. www.petzlife.com I think it is available at Petsmart too.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
Chicken frames would be the best way to go, check with a butcher and see if they will sell some. I used to get them for cheap (it's the back with the breastbone still attached but the breastmeat, thighs etc. gone). Pork necks would be another good one (get them whole and feed instead of a meal), as would lamb, elk, turkey....

You want to find RAW, non smoked/processed bones, that are big enough that he can't gulp them down (chicken wings for example aren't much to chew for a golden, I don't feed them). Whole pork necks (they are cut down the spine) are great and usually cheap.

Lana

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I rotate raw marrow bones - bison, beef (obviously, you can't do that one), ham, and lamb. If you have a farmer's market with a meat supplier in your area that's a great place to get non-beef marrow bones. Otherwise, Nature Variety sells prepackaged frozen raw marrow bones.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
I rotate raw marrow bones - bison, beef (obviously, you can't do that one), ham, and lamb. If you have a farmer's market with a meat supplier in your area that's a great place to get non-beef marrow bones. Otherwise, Nature Variety sells prepackaged frozen raw marrow bones.

Just watch with the 'ham' bones, they tend to have a lot of salt in them and I found them very brittle. Might have just been the one we had once, but it shattered and splintered a lot. Deer/elk bones are a hit here too and we usually get them for free all winter from the hunters out there. MMM!

Lana

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's actually just hit me that what his breath smells like is ammonia, and I can't tell whether it's the breath or his teeth, but breath that smells like ammonia is a sign of kidney failure, so even though he's acting just fine I'm taking him to the vet pronto.

Thank you everyone, and let's hope it's just his teeth!

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Please keep us posted. I'll be thinking good thoughts for your boy.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Of course now that I've gotten my wits about me, it is just his back teeth, and it isn't the smell of ammonia, it's just the smell of grossness. I think I just had one of those "father moments" where something hits you and you go paranoid. One of our prior boys, Casey, died at the age of 12, and I remember the vet saying that when his breath starts to smell like ammonia, it's kidney failure and it's time to put him down. Well after I smelled Max's teeth I was sitting here at my computer and that memory just came to mind and just had that OH NO moment.

Well, now that I've gotten hold of myself, there is no smell on his breath at all, and the front of his mouth, where the teeth are clean, smells just fine. It's just the very back of his mouth that smells, where one tooth is worse off than the rest. I've been smelling his breath and teeth (and annoying him by doing so) for about 20 minutes now, and it was just paranoia.

Thank you for all the great suggestions!

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Will he let you brush his teeth with some baking soda????... or you can get some doggy toothpaste. DON'T use human toothpaste though as the flouride is toxic to them.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been using the PetZLife, and I agree it's great, but I am off to get some doggy toothpaste today to supplement the spray. His back left teeth just smell awful, and it must be unpleasant for my poor boy. Getting better, but we're going to try and speed up the process.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts