Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exactly do you call a teenager? 4-10 months? 10-24 months?

The reason I ask is that I am noticing some changes in Gracie's behavior. Some good, some not so good. For example, when she's off-leash, she's not right by my side like she used to be.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
My girl Kye is hitting what I call teenage years now at 8 mo. She is forgetting her training, being a bit pushy. We are going back to the beginning and making her earn things again. I am hoping we get through this fast, but from what I have read on the forum it can last until a year or so. Classes start back up soon and she is already enrolled. Just going to keep her learning and try to tire her out.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
The link to the developmental stages in your fear thread says the teenage time can be anywhere from 6 months to 14 months and can be longer in the larger breeds. Since each dog is an individual they all don't hit it at the exact same age/time period and some are at it longer than others.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
So far, I haven't seen Beamer in this stage and he is 9 months now.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Bentley has done everything "by the book". So right at 6 months he forgot all his training and began his testing phase (sigh- seemed we had just gotten past the land shark phase) At 9 months old he's better-thanks to this forum I doubled my training efforts and exercise and that has helped ALOT! Now just to keep it up for another 18 months :doh:

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
I think Jordan (8 months) is starting hers. She is being kind of pushy and barks at me if she wants something.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In that case I think Gracie was born a teenager :) She forgot her training the second we left the class. In class, she was the only dog that did everything as commanded. People were asking me for dog training tips!! Then she was also the only dog that ate her diploma and was allowed to take her graduation hat home because she would not give it back!! :) :)

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Tucker is entering it now I think...He not checking in with me as much at the dog park--acting more independent--and isn't all that compliant when asked to do something. So I think we'll need to keep reinforcing the training. Overall though, he's such a lovable goofball, it's hard to know.

PS--a trainer I know said it's usually around 8 months that trained dogs develop "selective memories" and seem to forget their training....

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess 8 months is also when you realize that it is NOT a human baby and it does need a serious alpha :)

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Then she was also the only dog that ate her diploma and was allowed to take her graduation hat home because she would not give it back!! :) :)
Thanks for starting my day with a smile,..thats too hilarious! I can just picture that all happening!
Oh teenage times, we got ours late, they havent been too bad but suddenly we get a little spell and it hits harder because we havent had it bad I think! Some of the tales I read on here though make me very thankful!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Bella started at 6 months. Literally one day she decided she didn't want to listen and started talking back. She is 8 months now and nothing has changed. Sigh.

·
VickiR
239 Posts
Olivia is 7 1/2 months old and is just starting.
This week, she has become a professional counter surfer/food thief.
The cats just might be the ones to break her of it.
She steals their food too and she's really out numbered.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
So far BaWaaJige hasnt changed at all. He never did like coming in the house at night been that way since I brought him home. As soon as it is dark outside he want to roam the yard and lay and chew on toys....silly boy. Some days his training is a little harder but I just chalk that up to off days I have them too. If I air his pants out before we train we have a much better time. I have to remind myself that he is just coming up on 8mos all the time as he acts older most of the time.

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Koda has hit this as well at 8 months. The listening is not as good as it was...she will do it, we just have to push her harder. More training time seems to be working though.

·
Bailey Boy~ Best Friend
409 Posts
Oh bello has hit it at 7 months......
He's learned there are counters-
he's learned after one time up on the couch where someone had stuffed socks and other clothing that he can grab it, swallow it, and luckily threw it up. He goes there every time now.
he's learned to jump up.
More training time, more excercise and reframing who is the resource controller.
Eek.

·
Registered
513 Posts
With Bonnie she got more independent and cheeky at between 5-6 months. She also became much more confident in herself, which meant she decided to please herself more often. Now at nine months she is becoming much more responsive again and she is a lot better at listening to what I want her to do. I feel I can trust her loose in the house when we are out (but not when there is food around). She is reliable outside, on and off lead, and has learned how to interact with other dogs. She is still very playful and mischievious, something I hope she will retain as she gets older. In time she will hopefully grow up to be more of a lady. She has not had a season yet and I think that many bitches often become more grown up after the first season.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts