Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

need I say more???

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
Sorry it was a frustrating day. It happens, but you'll shake it off and do better the next time:)

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Rhut Rho, what happened!

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
Hey, been there, done that. All part of the 'fun'. He still loves you (if you screwed up) and he doesn't know anything is wrong (if he screwed up).

Lana

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
What happened?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
As often as you two are out there competing, there are bound to be bad days. But hang in there! Go look at his gazillion ribbons if you are feeling down. That should cheer you up!!!!!! Team Tito rocks!

·
OTCH Wannabes!
3,088 Posts
Hang in there Barb...it'll be okay!!! :) You can do it..I know you can! I have faith in you!

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
oh, it really falls under the heading of "no big deal" but it was a disappointing day.
I knew we were going to have a ring conflict between breed and utility B, but *everyone* told me the obedience judge was really nice and would have no problem taking Tito in Utility B first to avoid any conflicts.
HA
I went and asked her, and she very sweetly told me NO. She said it wasn't fair to the dog who was already first (HA! Like ANYONE wants to be first in the ring in Utility B, and the other dog hadn't checked in yet). She said she'd just skip me if I wasn't there, and then come back to me when I got to the ring.
That's fine, except I really needed to go into utility first because of the scent articles, and I guess I just wasn't mentally prepared to be turned down. The problem is that he needed to be puffed and fluffed for the breed ring, so of course he smelled like a beauty salon, my hands smelled like a beauty salon, etc.
All the local "heavy hitters" were there in breed. We got dumped (but then so did all the other owner handlers but that's another whole story). Ran over to the obedience ring, where he promptly NQ'd the first scent article. I knew that was going to happen. There was no way he was going to pick out my scent among the smells that were on both him and my hands.
Ah well, no big deal, I had half hoped to NQ Utility anyway, but then....the judge decides to do us a "favor" and give me help and instruction in the ring after every exercise (that's why the head hitting). She was sweet as can be, and meant so well, but it was so embarrassing to have her standing there for 60 seconds (I kid you not) after each exercise reviewing the exercise with me and telling me "hints" for the future. (It was her last time in the ring after 30 years). And several of "Team Tito's Fan Club" had turned out for the show, which just made it worse. SHEEESH.
After the first time she did it, I was ready to crawl out of the ring. Which of course made Tito ready to crawl out of the ring, too. It wasn't one of our better days.
We did NOT stay for Open B. I doubt the Open B people got out of there before 5 pm, it was an incredibly long day.
There are no more obedience shows in our area for a while now (except a couple that conflict with some breed only shows we will probably go to) so we're going to be taking a break from obedience for a while.
And that's a GOOD thing.

·
the party's crashing us
4,420 Posts
UGGGGGGGGG -- that sucks
#1 go wash your hands after grooming!
#2 I hate when judges (or onlookers) assume from one flub one time in one obedience ring, that is a "problem" that they, personally, need to help you with. You know what, some dogs mess up because it's a constant problem, but sometimes dogs just mess up for no good reason, and please, unless I ask -- keep all that great advice to yourself!!!!!!!!
Sorry your day didn't go so hot.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
and some dogs mess up because the judge keeps coming up and literally putting her arm around you like your mama and giving you advice!!!

BTW, he did qualify in everything except the one scent article, but he didn't do a very good job.

UGGGGGGGGG -- that sucks
#1 go wash your hands after grooming!
#2 I hate when judges (or onlookers) assume from one flub one time in one obedience ring, that is a "problem" that they, personally, need to help you with. You know what, some dogs mess up because it's a constant problem, but sometimes dogs just mess up for no good reason, and please, unless I ask -- keep all that great advice to yourself!!!!!!!!
Sorry your day didn't go so hot.

·
Registered
Brady Aedan Finch and Wren
13,687 Posts
Oh, I hate days like that!! But hey - you won the very best prize; at the end of the day, you were the one who got to bring Tito home :)

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well now that it's a couple of days behind us....
I also got another great "prize".
There was a couple there that had just moved here from Germany, and they were looking at the dogs and deciding which was appropriate for them and their two young children. He favored rottweilers, but she favored goldens. Several times they came up to me and asked to pet Tito, and of course he rolled on his back for some major belly rubs.
The told me a couple of hours into the show (about the 10th time they visited with Tito, LOL) that he was by FAR the best dog they had seen at the whole show. I told them that I agreed!
And on reflection, the way he is so calm and sweet with people, including young children, is worth more than all the Q's and points in the world.

:)

Oh, I hate days like that!! But hey - you won the very best prize; at the end of the day, you were the one who got to bring Tito home :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts