Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
twillobee
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so happy with Sebastian today. Due to having 3 previous older goldens who had issues getting in and out of the SUV, I decided to teach him early how to use a dog car ramp.

My boy made me proud. It only took him 3 times to figure it out. He didn't have a problem with the incline. So glad I went to the trouble teaching while he's this young. Wish I could get my older Daisy to use it. She really needs it. She was not going to try it even with Sebastian going up and down. He's young and fearless, so he was actually easy to teach. Surprised me. He does anything for treats.

Two out of my other 3 loved the car and would just jump in. Wasn't until they got older we had problems. Even Max (rip) would get his front half in and wait for me to lift his back legs up until the very end. Had too many emergencies where I had to try and lift those over 100 lb dogs and wanted to make things easier for when he gets bigger.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
That is so great! Good job Sebastian!
I had the same thoughts as you and when Bryley was a pup I taught him to get in the car by stepping onto the floor boards first and then up to the seat. He continues to get in that way and this will serve us well for when he is a senior. When my last boy Bailey was older and ill I had such a hard time getting him in the car. It was upsetting to both of us and I did not want to repeat that!

·
Registered
214 Posts
On my third golden....took this long to figure out the whole ramp thing!!! The first two really needed it as they aged. So, with Riley getting so big, so fast, I decided to get a folding ramp! It has been a lifesaver. He uses it all the time now....he was really nervous to begin with, but because he is so food motivated, he figured it out in order to get that treat!!!! Now he goes up and down as if it were the stairs!!! Such a great thing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts