Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been teaching my new golden, 2 1/2 months old how to sit. She seems to get it and is showing some progress. My problem is that she cant sustain the sur position. She goes into the down position almost instantly especially if i reward her with a treat. Shes lying while chewing the food. Where am i doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I don't believe that you are doing anything wrong. It just maybe a more comfortable position for Happy to be in. To be honest, I don't think it is a bad thing.

·
Kristy
10,136 Posts
She's right, you're not doing anything wrong. As she gets older you can help her continue to work on 'sit' with the idea that she needs to stay in that position to get treats. She's probably started thinking that the next automatic thing to do to get a treat is to offer you "down". Just keep working on her skills and don't worry about perfection now. She is such a new girl.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Are you getting her into the sit position by holding the treat in your hand and putting it above her nose and back so that she automatically goes into the sit? If so, then when you "yes!" the sit, ONLY give her the treat in that position. If she starts to go into a down, get her back up into the sit before you treat. It'll come.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts