Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just a theory of mine, not sure if its valid, but hey - it can't hurt.

Whenever I take my dogs for a walk on the leash, as soon as we start heading back toward the house, I start saying, "Go home." I repeat this every 5 minutes or so and even more often as we reach our block. When we start walking up our front walk and porch, I say, "home now, we're home."

My theory is this --- when I see a stray dog, I try to approach it to see if it is wearing any id. However, some dogs will run away and won't let anyone approach them. I know, for sure, that my tiny mutt would bark to high heaven if a stranger approached him.

If I can't get near a stray, the next thing I do is say - "go home, go home." This is just something that I say naturally, not knowing what else to do! I'm betting a lot of people say that to a stray dog.

I'm hoping that should either of my dogs get loose someday (hope they don't, and I'm careful, but who knows), maybe maybe maybe someone saying "go home" to them, will somehow register in their heads and they will head back? Or at least have an inkling as to what they are being told.

I don't know - what do you think of my theory?

Kris

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
I LOVE that theory, and don't see why it wouldn't work!

We have a dog down the street who is always jumping the backyard fence (his owners are idiots and he's going to pay for their stupidity someday.:( ) and he ALWAYS comes over to play with Mojo and Maxie.

I can't tell you HOW many times I've gone outside, pointed down the street to his house and said "Go home!" ... He'll turn right around and trot home.

Poor guy... I do let him play when his ma brings home over, but I'm afraid that I'd be reinforcing him coming over on his own if I let him play every time.

Good idea though! You should start saying it as soon as you start going home, so they can get the idea even further away.

:D

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good idea though! You should start saying it as soon as you start going home, so they can get the idea even further away.

:D
Oh yes, I do! The moment we start heading back, even if we're blocks and blocks away, I begin staying "go home!"

Kris

·
rose
497 Posts
because we live in flats when we take them out if one of us is home we tell them to go fetch catherine or mum depending on whos indoors they did get confused first cos all the flats are the same and white doors they did do the equivalent of canine head scratching

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
An animal control officer told me that she will first tell a stray animal to "Go home," and then follow it to contact the owners. 'Nuf said!

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I do that with Molly to! :D As soon as we head back home I say 'Home' (in french though) And I repeat it often until we arrive! I'm sure she understands by now.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,079 Posts
I have been doing that with our dogs as well......Austin has caught on and I believe he knows what it means ....I'm not real sure about Lincoln though.

·
Lucy & Dory's Mom
2,760 Posts
We used to wait to say that to Lucy until our walks were over when she was a puppy because she'd drag us home. She would behave the whole walk until we would get near the corner to our street. Then we'd say, "Go home," and boy would she!

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
If I say Home to Shadow, Shadow never misses a beat, he immediately turns and heads for Home. Problem is, I think he connects Home with just turning. I haven't tested out whether or not he would go home. Tucker turns to, but not 100% of the time like Shadow.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I do this too though I usually start when we are only a few houses away. I am going to start saying "go home" before we turn onto the street.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts