Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey :)
I got a dog who does not shake shake alot. when i need him too, if cousle he doesnt shake. ayone who has any ideas how i can ca on that behaviour? i mean shaking would be great to get the snow off him before getting inside and such. the only time ive seen him shaking, is either when he is dripping wett after comming out of the wet erea, or when he
has been working through a very dificult erea with alot of hinders, or humans ..
- Ranveig -

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
With us... it was one of the things where we had to wait for him to actually do it. You can usually tell right before they are going to shake (especially when they are wet) and RIGHT BEFORE we would say "SHAKE!" and after he shook he would get a treat! It only took a couple of times during a bath once and he caught on. =D

To get him to shake, when you're giving him a bath, usually they do it when their head gets wet. Seems to be like that with all of mine. I always rinse their heads with water from a cup instead of the shower sprayer, so when you pour water over their heads watch for that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently lost my golden retriever Susie to a sudden case of severe siezures.
Susie had learned many, many tricks and commands (around 40) She was, by far, the easiest to train of all my dogs I have owned.

In her younger years we Duck hunted with her and one of the things she needed to learn was to shake off before getting back into the duck blind.

Here is what I had done to train her to shake off on command.

I first established the stay command and the release command.

For the stay command:
I used the word "stay" and gave her a visual hand signal with my hand projected out from my body (just like a policeman would try to get you to stop your vehicle)

For the release command, I simply used the verbal command "okay"

Go to the lake or pond and throw her retrieving dummy in - (just far enough to get her wet)

Once she came out of the pond, I would give her the command to stay. This froze her at the edge of the pond dripping wet.

I would then give her the release command and start saying "shake off" repeatedly.

When she does it, praise the heck out of her, love on her and give her a treat.
repeat
repeat
repeat
give her a rest - like a day or at least several hours..
repeat
repeat
repeat
give her a rest - like a day or several hours..

She will catch on.. Susie caught on pretty quick and I could get her to shake off at any time.
The trick is saying the command when she was going to do it anyway..

Goldens are so eager to please you, this makes training a joy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts