Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently switched Sawyer over to Taste of the Wild- it's a grain-free dog food. The vet suspected he might possibly have a grain allergy. Any success stories- or otherwise out there from anyone else who uses this food?

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
We used Taste of the wild as we had to go grain free with Chester. It was fine but have now moved onto Royal Canine Sensitivity duck and tapioca but he just gets bored..we still have half a bag of T O T W and he had a bit yesterday quite happily. The kibble is quite small, thats my only criticism. Make sure its def grain your dogs allergic too and not chicken or that he or she doesnt need a stool sampling at the lab.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
Lacey's been on TOTW-Salmon since I adopted her in 2008. She LOVES it, and her coat is beautiful. Absolutely no allergies.

Reactions: kmt

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a 13 week old puppy that has been eating TOTW puppy since we brought him home. he went nuts as soon as I opened the bag and still does as soon as he smells it. There is a lot of info on here about TOTW after doing a lot of reading that's what I decided to go with. Here's a link that compares dog food ingredients that I found on this forum.

Dry Dog Food Reviews | View All | Dog Food Advisor

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I feed Taste of the Wild Sierra Mountain formula to my three dogs and they love it, their coats are nice and shiny. It also helped my Golden to built up his muscle mass up faster and better after his orthopedic surgeries.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to you all for your helpful comments! Sawyer LOVES Taste of the Wild. I switched him over from Eukanuba, and his coat is beautiful. I have been told by some of the staff at a local natural pet food store that I should be able to switch between the various TOTW formulas without any of the problems associated with switching between brands. Has anyone ever done this? I'd like to try another protein with him soon, but would like to avoid an upset stomach, etc... Thanks in advance!

~Kira

·
Registered
308 Posts
One other good thing about TOTW formulas.:
they are all under 400 calories per cup.
Our 2 girls have have been on the Pacific Salmon and the Wetlands formula for past few years.. great coats, stools, and they love it
6 star[top] rating at dog food analysis site.

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
Jack loves TOTW I bought the second bag today.He's very picky & has never enjoyed eating like he does this stuff. I even had to do a test(just to satisfy me) I put some canned food next to his TOTW & he ate the dry first.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Has anyone noticed weight gain with TOTW? I used to feed Sawyer 4 cups of Eukanuba each day. My vet told me to scale back with TOTW- now he's only getting 2 1/2 cups each day, and the vet told me I might have to scale back even more due to weight gain.

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
I feed Lacey 1 cup of TOTW twice a day with a 1/4 cup of unsalted canned green beans at each feeding. I also give her a tablespoon of non-fat plain greek yogurt in her breakfast meal. She's actually lost weight over the past year (I've been feeding her TOTW since April 2008), but this may be due to all the exercise she (and I!) are getting, as in LOTS of walks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wendy- thanks for the response. Lacey is a cute girl!!! How much does she weigh? Sawyer weighs about 75 pounds, and the vet would like him to lose 5 more. He gets a ton of exercise. Dog park every evening, and at least a two-mile walk daily. I'm thinking I might have to cut back to 1 cup of TOTW twice a day!

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
All three of mine eat the Salmon TOW. Beautiful coats and no skin issues after two years of being on it. My three all get 1 cup in the morning, and one at night. Over that amount, they all gain weight, and none of them need any weight put on. ;)

·
Banned
616 Posts
We have three girls all between 60 and 65 lbs (ideal weight for them) eating 1 cup in the morning and one at night. They get about an hour hike/walk in the woods a day, plus a couple games of ball. Now my 75 lbs male, who is pure muscle and couldn't loose a pound, and works out about 2 hours a day, gets 3 cups a day.
I think you'd be safe with 2 cps/day for him.

I feed the bison formula, which is slightly more calories and protein than the pacific stream formula.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks ya'll so much! I also feed the bison formula, which I'm sure has contributed to his weight gain. He always seems so pitiful when I cut back on the food, but it's necessary to keep him at a healthy weight! I'm going to try him on 2 cups/day!
~Kira and Sawyer

·
Registered
201 Posts
We use TOTW. Switched to Orijen and Acana last year but Matt's poop got kinda yellow and soft. Since we switched to TOTW again his poop looks much better!

2 cups a day is a lot! I give Matt 3/4 cup in the morning and evening and he is a high energy dog! Don't forget that you don't have to feed him as much of it. Taste of the wild is higher in quality because it doesn't have all those fillers in it like grain, corn etc.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hmm is 2 cups a day a lot for TOTW? I'm transitioning my boy to TOTW and was thinking of feeding about 3 cups a day. He's getting the smoked salmon flavor. I thought the bag says about 3 cups?? He's about 65 Ibs (maybe 70?) i reckon cos' I haven't weighed him in for awhile.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Of course it depends on how big/heavy the dog is. I would rather see his pityful face than see him getting bigger and bigger and seeing him put more weight on his bones.

Matt has 54lbs which is not much. I know a (Field Line) Golden in our neighborhood that only has 50lbs!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Luccagr,

I started Sawyer on 3 cups per the suggestion on the bag! When I took him to the vet for his shots, he had gained some weight so the vet suggested I cut back to 2 1/2 cups a day! However, after weighing him again, there has not been much of a difference, and the vet wants him to lose 5 pounds, so I'm cutting back to 2 cups a day! While this might not seem like much, it's packed full of protein as opposed to other foods on the market, which allows you to get away with less.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts