Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I did a 10-day transition to Taste of the Wild Sierra Mountain Lamb for Sunny, now almost 6 months old. Solid poops, so I'm guessing he's adjusted well to it so far!

I'd like to switch between lamb and salmon for him, just so it doesn't get boring, and I heard it was safe to switch between TOTW formulas without digestive issues. Though if I were to switch formulas, I'd still do a transition.

Out of all the adult formulas (lamb, salmon, bison, fowl), lamb is the only all life stages formula with calcium/phosphorus ratios safe enough for puppies.
Some people feed the adult salmon formula to their puppies without issues but I'm not sure if it's ideal. Puppy salmon formula is not available where I live unfortunately.

Should I continue feeding lamb until he's about 9 months old, or would it be okay for him to try salmon? I've heard it does great things for the coat which he really needs. Although, maybe a fish oil capsule will do for now.

Thank you :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
I wouldn't switch him off puppy formula at 6 months old. Ours will be on puppy formula until 15 months.

You could give salmon oil, on top of puppy food, to help with his coat.

OR you could always order the salmon puppy formula online. It will be cheaper that way, too.

Why are you wanting to switch to adult already?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I wouldn't switch him off puppy formula at 6 months old. Ours will be on puppy formula until 15 months.

You could give salmon oil, on top of puppy food, to help with his coat.

OR you could always order the salmon puppy formula online. It will be cheaper that way, too.

Why are you wanting to switch to adult already?
There are only two suppliers of TOTW in the whole of Australia! None stock the puppy formula.

I've just heard of puppies that have done fine on the adult salmon formula because the protein, phosphorus and calcium levels aren't too far off from being considered ALS. I want to stick with TOTW and it'd be nice to switch flavours every now and then, maybe I'll stick with lamb for now, but I'd also like to hear what those feeding their puppies adult salmon have to say :D

Edit: Upon further research on this forum, it seems quite a lot of members start feeding adult food from 5-6 months, some even starting on adult or ALS since young puppyhood. TOTW adult salmon has very similar protein, phosphorus and calcium levels to that of puppy food so I'd consider it ALS. I'm a newb when it comes to dog food analysis, I'm happy to feed whatever's best for him, but this is such a subjective topic and it's hard to make a decision! Don't ask me to follow my breeder's recommendation though, as she insists on Royal Canin for at least the first year of his life. I don't know much about dog food, but I know I'd rather feed my dog better quality food at the same, if not slightly cheaper price.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts