Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Pet Food Warehouse, and I browsed around. I'd never been there in there, at least not recently. They had just about every super premium food one could fathom.

I decided to try a bag of Taste of the Wild! I rotate foods now and then. My dogs don't have any digestive issues, and they're used to grain free foods. Anyway, does anyone else use it? If they like it, I'll add it to my rotation! I am happy with the Blue Wilderness too, so I'll keep buying that here and there too. I go through the largest bag available of both every week, plus a couple cans per day, of whatever brand of kibble I'm buying at the time too, and the price of this food wasn't bad.

They have some really cool options for raw too (which I still do on alternate days).

This store also had the Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil, so I don't have to buy it online anymore. Why didn't I go there ages ago?!

Here's the info:

Protein: 32% Fat: 18%
Calories: 3,719 kcal/kg (370 kcal/cup) Calculated Metabolizable Energy
Available in 5lb, 15lb and 30lb bags.

Ingredients
Bison, venison, lamb meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, roasted bison, roasted venison, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried fermentation products of Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

And this is what the bag looks like:

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
Jenna, I have been using TOTW for some time and my dogs are doing great on it... I did notice with the bison, Cruiser ears started getting yucky. so now I switch between the fowl and salmon and his ears are fine.

·
I've seen all good people
5,002 Posts
Merlin was/is on this food for about a year and a 1/2 and has always liked it. I am getting ready to switch though because he's having issues with his anal glands (no additives to his food seem to help) and the vet says that beef, wheat or dairy can be a source of the problem if it's an allergy issue. So we're going to try something else very soon. Hard to find food w/o egg!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Yeah, my biggest concern when choosing a dog food is no chemical preservatives. Grain, no grain, cooked, raw, all of that comes after what preservatives they use. When I first looked at the TOTW ingredient list I was impressed but after further looking into it I wouldn't feed it.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
My only concern with TOTW is that it's produced by Diamond who does not guarantee that it's preserved without ethoxyquin.

Also it is the only kibble/food in general Sam ever turned his nose up at and absolutely refused to eat, which struck me as odd lol but I know many dogs do enjoy it so obviously mine is just the weirdo there.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good to know. I personally am not overly worried about the chance (not guarantee) that a minimal ingredient in the food COULD have the preservative. However, I probably won't buy it again, or not too often.

·
and Miss Riley and Jake
686 Posts
We just come off using TOTW. I thought ours did well with it. Their coats were good, no problems with the ears, etc. The one drawback we did notice was weight gain. You may have to monitor the amount given and maybe adjust it for your dogs.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Mine have been on it for about 2 years. Sage has to be on a grain free, and money started to be an issue on the Evo. Mine love it (they would love plastic too probably), and no skin issues and no ear issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts