Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Golden Retriever named Biscuit who will turn a year old on Easter Sunday. We just started giving her Heartguard Plus tablets for a monthly basis year round that prevent against roundworms, heartworms, and hookworms. We also just started giving her Frontline Plus tablets this time of year (spring, summer, early fall) in monthly doses to help prevent ticks, fleas, and mites. We live on a farm so these problems are very common in are area and the vet usually prescribes this medication to all adult dogs.

In addition, we have a lot of rabbits around our grove. Our previous dog Smokey (a Norwegian Elkhound), who we had before Biscuit, would always get tapeworms from eating rabbits. It never failed. So, we regularly dosed her with dewormer every three-six months that took care of all worms including tapes. (This was years before there was Heartguard Plus medication available.)

Well, Biscuit found a nest of rabbits tonight and ate every single one of them before I could stop her. Our vet says she is covered by the meds above, but it does not specify on the medicine boxes that this is true. So is there a tapeworm preventative out there that any of you use with Heartguard and Frontline?

Thank you.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I don't have any advice for you but hope someone will be able to help

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I think the 'normal' sentinel that most vets carry does not cover tapeworms... not sure what sentinel spectrum is so be sure you make that distinction.

Iverhart max i believe is a heartworm medication that does tapeworms.

Reactions: CAROLINA MOM

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
No problem! I've just never heard of Sentinel Spectrum... so I just wanted to clarify that the normal Sentinel doesn't cover tapeworms :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts