Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Tango gives us a scare

556 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Oaklys Dad 
#1 ·
Yesterday afternoon Fenway (golden) and Tango (rat terrier) were out playing in the yard when they spotted my mother out working in her yard next door. My parents live a few hundred yards away, just across the pond. So, Tango decided to go visit. She spent an hour or so next door playing while my mom worked just having a big time. When my mom finished up she headed around to the back of the house toward the garage and Tango took off ahead of her. She wasn't in the garage a few seconds before my mom rounded the corner and found her eating a pellet of rat poison!

Come to find out, my dad had gotten a pair of boots out of the utility closet and some poison had been spilled in them so he dumped it out on the garage floor. (My parents don't have animals or young children running around and my dogs don't usually go over there, hence his lack of thought about leaving it lying about). It was at least several years old. As soon as my mom came around the corner she got Tango away from it and called me immediately. She was sure Tango hadn't gotten but one pellet of it at the most in the time she was in there, but we started treating her immediately anyway. Within half an hour we had called the vet, given her a piece of bread, dosed her with a few tablespoons of peroxide, and she had vomited the entire contents of her stomach. I had the lucky job of searching through the vomit to find out exactly how much she had eaten and what I found was a tiny amount about the size of a pin head. Whew.

We are watching her closely to make sure she shows no signs of illness, as we know how rat poison works (causes hemhorraging). If she shows the least sign we will administer vitamin K, but the vet thinks all is well since we caught it so fast and had her vomit it back up. From the research that I have done, most dogs are harmed by rat poison because the owners don't know that they have eaten it. Then the hemhorraging is the first sign of anything being wrong.

So, please keep little Tango in your thoughts, but as of this morning she is just as spunky as ever and I think she's going to be fine. Sure was a scare though.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.