Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tally had such a fun time taking the TDI test tonight all the way in Rockland Maine( a 2 hour drive each way). People from the American Legion Hall came to be the "crowd", with crutches, wheelchairs and even a halloween mask- but Tally wagged at everyone and kept right on heeling. I am excited , though a bit nervous, to join my friend Teri and her Corgi Gimli in visiting the children's wing of Maine Medical Center and Mercy Hospital.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Congratulations!!! Sounds like an amazing place to volunteer with the doggies!!!

Julie and Jersey

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
Congratulations! I hope to take Tess on the therapy route when she comes home in 2 weeks. I know it will take me a long time to be where you are now, but it is my dream to do useful volunteerwork, together with my pup...I hope she will be up to it!!!

·
Premium Member
16,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congratulations! I hope to take Tess on the therapy route when she comes home in 2 weeks. I know it will take me a long time to be where you are now, but it is my dream to do useful volunteerwork, together with my pup...I hope she will be up to it!!!
The best thing is to make heeling an absolute blast- the most fun game in the world. For baby pups, the clicker/ treats can really get them heeling willingly- something that makes all these other things a genuine pleasure to pursue. Get the pup used to thinking good things come from heeling- but not with any force techniques- all fun at first.

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
I may come back to you on that, if you don't mind. She comes home on Friday 11th December, and we go to puppy class on the 6th of January. The training school where we'll go, has a lot of obedience courses and also a therapy dog course. But I've got a feeling that advice from people like you, who've done it and are doing it, will be very useful, both for Tess and me. She's my first dog, and I want to do it right.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Im tickled for you Jill!
Tally is sooooo sweet...the kids are just gonna LOVE him!

·
love my goofy goldens
2,431 Posts
Congratulations to you and Tally! That is a wonderful accomplishment.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
The kids at the hospital are all going to fall in love with Tally. Congratulations to you and Tally.

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
Jill, congratulations to Tally and you on a job well done. I'll bet you both will thoroughly enjoy the therapy work.

·
Premium Member
16,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone! Tally loves kids, and his buddy Gimli will be a good guide for us. Tally gets a laminated hospital id with his photo on it in the same format as the doctors' - that cracks me up.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Good job Tally! Congratulations!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Great job Jill and Tally!! Hopefully Riley will get his TDI soon. Just need to find a test close by.

·
Registered
Brady Aedan Finch and Wren
13,681 Posts
Woo hoo! Great job and congratulations!

·
Premium Member
16,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There's an surprising amount of paper work, including a form for your vet to fill out, sign on a diagonal line, and stamp officially and the need for a 5x7 print photo. . .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts