Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does your dog take treats from you?

Fergus likes to stalk his treats when I hold them out to him. He gets his muzzle really close to it with his mouth shut, stares it down, waits several seconds... then BLAMMO! He snaps the treat up. He even varies the amount of time he waits. It's the funniest thing! It's like he's stalking prey.

Lily is very gentle and kind of opens her mouth for you to put the treat on her tongue. Exception to the rule: meat of any kind. If it's meaty, she'll take part of your finger with the treat.

Anyone else have a stalker? A gentle treat taker? One who likes a bit of finger with their treat? Other kind?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Tysen is pretty gentle. I will offer a treat and he will immediately take it out of your fingers/hand but it is very gentle. He is also an expert catcher of small treats.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I tell Maximus to "take nice" and he opens his mouth enough for me to set it on his tounge. LOL! Leo is still learning ans will snap it up the second he sees it so I hold it in my palm until he waits then give it to him and he just swallows it. I don't even think he chews!

It would be hysterical to watch your dog "stalk" a treat! Oh my goodness!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Daisy is the gentlest treat taker I've ever had, even with the good stuff. I say it's because she is soooo spoiled she knows she's going to get some no matter what.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Flora used to take off part of my finger with her needly little teeth, but I taught her "gentle" and now she uses her lips to take the treat from me. Well... most of the time. ;)

·
It's just an illusion ...
3,765 Posts
Mr T
Real gentle
And ...
He'll ignore his favorite treat when he knows he's going to the lake ...his favorite place in the world

Miss T
Sooo gentle no matter what the treat is
Too funny though when given something new or extra yummy ...
She takes it to her bed for analysis first ... then savors it

·
Social Therapy Dog
613 Posts
The trainer had taught us to teach the pups to keep their mouth away from the hand and then wait until the "ok" is given before taking it so now Amber will nuzzle your hand to see what it is and if it something she likes then she'll sit and just wait for me to say "ok" then she'll "suck" it off your fingers lol. Our friends have a lab that will take part of your fingers with the treat and to be honest that bothers me a great deal. We go swimming and hiking four times per week together so we constantly treat each others pups and I've gotten to the point I'll either drop the labs"Lilli"'s treat or toss it to her rather then have my fingers bitten. I worry about pups like that when kids want to treat them in particular. I'd love to see a pup stalk the snack though lol. Might make a cool video short!

·
Mom to Fyodor & Gibson
1,303 Posts
What a funny boy that Fergus is!! Sounds super cute!

Gibby will mostly auto-sit when I have treats, but he'll sometimes rooroo and nudge my hands a bit. :) He has a very soft mouth and takes the treats gently. When he's extremely excited, he will chomp a little bit but still pretty soft mouthed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts