Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, next month I will be taking my new golden pup home. I've been doing non stop research and have come across a potential dilemma. A lot of the things I've read say to not take your puppy to high dog traffic areas (dog park, pet store, parks, ect) for risk of things like parvo, until they have had all their booster shots. We live in a large apartment complex in the woods. We have plenty of grass for him to go potty on, but im concerned since there are many other dogs who live in our complex who use this grass to bathroom on as well. People pick up after their dogs but is there a risk here for taking our pup out to go pee/poop? Our pup will come home with the initial shots.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, since we live in a wooded area there are lots of other critters around besides the other resident pups like raccoons, squirrels, birds, ect

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
2,036 Posts
Where are you going to start potty training then? You do not want to start with training pass as the track the pup to go inside the house.

At 6 weeks they should have had their first shot usually. The booster is at 9 weeks. So for the first week you have them just take them out to potty and back in. No contact with other dogs/cats and don't take them anywhere but the vets office. After the first booster you should be fine to walk the neighborhood but start away from dog parks and pet stores, and just ask you very if there is anything in your area to make it not safe after the 1st booster.

Starting at 9 weeks old, all my dogs are out to places like home depot, lowes, walmart for socialization. Pet stores, not until after 2nd booster at 12 weeks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where are you going to start potty training then? You do not want to start with training pass as the track the pup to go inside the house.

At 6 weeks they should have had their first shot usually. The booster is at 9 weeks. So for the first week you have them just take them out to potty and back in. No contact with other dogs/cats and don't take them anywhere but the vets office. After the first booster you should be fine to walk the neighborhood but start away from dog parks and pet stores, and just ask you very if there is anything in your area to make it not safe after the 1st booster.

Starting at 9 weeks old, all my dogs are out to places like home depot, lowes, walmart for socialization. Pet stores, not until after 2nd booster at 12 weeks.
Thank you, I'm just paranoid! Haha some of these articles act like if you take your puppy outside for 3 seconds theyre going to get sick

·
Registered
12,853 Posts
Another thing to do is check with your local vet (local is key) to find out what the level of parvo is in your area. It may well be low to non-existent and therefore not something you really have to worry about. If there is a high compliance rate for parvo-distemper vaccination, and no strays around, it is probably pretty safe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another thing to do is check with your local vet (local is key) to find out what the level of parvo is in your area. It may well be low to non-existent and therefore not something you really have to worry about.
Good idea. My vet is literally my neighbor so definitely local!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts