Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a bunch of tiny little lumps on Lincoln these past few days. Last night I went to pet between his shoulder blades where he loves a good scratch. He screamed bloody murder and tried to bite me. I felt around gently and could feel a bunch of little lumps under the skin. Then there was a huge pink rash and some (looks like pustules or something). I have no friggin idea whats up with him. But I am really nervous because right now I dont have tons of money to spend on him.

I am debating running some blood work, I already know if something serious comes back I can't treat it. So maybes its better not to know. I was thinking a staph infection and maybe the antibiotics the previous vet had him on for 2 weeks wasn't a long enough course?

I am so nervous its something serious and that I may end up losing him. He has the odd tiny lump on other parts of his body to and I was just gunna leave it until April when he gets his Heart Worm exam but then I saw this on his shoulders today.

I noticed something was off last night because the hair on his back stayed standing a bit. I assume thats from the lumps under his skin.

We shall see what the vet says.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Will keep my fingers crossed. Hopefully he just needs another round of meds. Let us know.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im reading online that if its a staph infection its recommended to be on the medication for for 3-6 weeks. He was only on for 2 and it was a commonly prescribed medication so its possible hes developed a resistance to that antibiotic...I dunno. Ugh this is so frustrating.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
If he was already diagnosed with a staff infection, often time 2 weeks is not enough and antibiotic treatment needs to be extended - sometimes a couple months.

The fact that he screamed in pain, could it be a hot spot?

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I am so sorry to hear that Lincoln isn't feeling well. Good wishes that it is something simple to take care of because I know you love him so much.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It could be anything. It feels really hard (like a callous) under his fur. I dont think its fluid. Theres a bunch of lumps that have red rips on them (blood) and when I pressed on it he yelped. His fur also stands because of whats under it. So I don't know.

I am going to take him out quick, put the blanket in the car and head out at 2pm since its going to be a 15-20 minute drive. I might cave and just put him on prednisone. Sigh I am getting so fed up with this but I love him to much to let him suffer.

I will post when I get back

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was going to walk him before I left but I dont want my neighbours to see me in tears. So I will take him when I get home. I took some pics. The pics make them look not bad, they are worse then the pics show and I only took pics of the one area. Theres about a 6 by 6 inch area thats covered in simple like stuff.

You can see how the hair stand up, normally it lays flat

Heres only a tiny amount of the pustules im seeing. My camera sucks so mind the pics. They are more redder and sore looking in person

The ONLY thing I have done differently is last night I gave him a couple pieces of popcorn and a treat with wheat in it (the neighbour gave him..sigh). Then the other day I opened a can of Bison based canned food (I *think* it was the Nutrience brand). Those are the only things I have done differently. One can of food lasted me about 5 days as he only gets a couple scoops in his evening meal.

Alright, I gotta to get the car ready for his fur and spray its not horribly windy out when going over the bridge as my car is light and I really dont wish to go flying haha

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay...I looked at the can of Bison and it has Wheat flour in it. I wonder if he is reacting to the wheat flour. Hmmm guess I wont be having my friend grab me canned food as they cant seem to understand I dont want wheat, corn or by products in the can.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bad news. Very bad news

She said the lumps and dots etc were pyoderma from an allergic reaction to something he ate. She gave me 3 weeks of antibiotics and something called Venectyl P.

She thought she felt a spleenic tumour when checking him out. FML. hes only 4. Already lost one dog to hemangio and I am not planning to lose another one

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
OMG, your poor boy! What is she going to do about the supposed tumor? An ultrasound? Surgery?

Hope his lumps clear up fast.. I am so sorry he hurts. : (

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
So sorry to hear this news. What is the next step of the vet's plan?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Bad news. Very bad news

She said the lumps and dots etc were pyoderma from an allergic reaction to something he ate. She gave me 3 weeks of antibiotics and something called Venectyl P.

She thought she felt a spleenic tumour when checking him out. FML. hes only 4. Already lost one dog to hemangio and I am not planning to lose another one
Before giving steroids, I would have bloodwork run if you can swing it. After you start giving the Venectyl, it may affect blood counts.

If there is something going on with the spleen, you want a good idea of what is happening with the red blood cell counts, white blood cell counts, and also the platelets before the steroids alter all the numbers.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We ran blood work today and I will get results tomorrow first thing. She told me to start the dose of steriods tonight and she will call with the results tomorrow and will let me know if I am to continue them or not.

First we are starting with an ultrasound and x ray and thats booked for two weeks. He was tense when she was feeling his gut so there is hope that there isnt anything there and that his spleen is just large. Had he not of had these lumps I never would of brought him in and we may of found this tumour.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I always keep a copy for my records. Always. Even for other tests like stool checks sent to the lab I ask for copies. She also gave him Revolution to rule out fleas as we have had a unusually warm winter

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I read up on Vanectyl P and its saying it can cause interactions while on Cyclosporine. Hes on that for his eyes..my vet knows hes on that. So should this be okay? Vets not in until tomorrow now

1 - 20 of 46 Posts