Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Audrey
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any safe way to travel or run errands with a dog? I wouldn't mind leaving the car running with my big boy on guard, but police dogs keep dying in air conditioned vehicles, even with those safety features that roll down the windows while sounding an alarm. Today, I left the big dogs behind as usual but did take the little dog who can jump in and out the window easily. I left all the windows open but took the keys with me, when I went into a store for literally 2 minutes. As I was checking out, I told her to hop out and wait by the store entrance, where I could see her better. I don't know for sure that someone won't harm her.

I've always wondered what would happen if someone - thief or really rude passerby - reached inside the car and got bitten? I've also wondered about the all-too-common case where people pet/grab a dog after being told not to by the owner. It seems only fair that the other person would be at fault, but something tells me this isn't what would happen.

·
Charlie's Mom
871 Posts
I'd give anything to have a way to take Charlie safely on errands with me. He loves to ride in the car, but it is just TOO hot here to even leave him for 5 minutes with the windows cracked. I live in a pretty good sized city and just don't trust that someone wouldn't either steal my car and/or Charlie, if I left the windows down more than an inch. Luckily, I live pretty close to Petsmart so we go there first to get him out and then I take him home and go back out to do the rest of my errands.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I live in a small town in Maine so my boys go on errands with me all the time. I don't take them on really hot summer days. I am comfortable leaving them in the truck with the windows 50% down on warm days for a few minutes. They always get to go on errands in the winter because they keep the truck warm while I'm inside. :p:

·
Kate
22,631 Posts
Call me neurotic, but I would never leave my dogs in the car even if it were nice weather. The only times I do is when I'm at the gas station and I can eyeball the car the entire time.

They are safe and secure at home. And a lot happier than sitting in a car barking at people going by.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
It's illegal to leave the car running wtih no human in it... in some areas, not all.

If your dog bites someone, it could/should/would be reported and a bite would be on the dog's record. If rabies was not up to date....not good.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
A friend of mine says their Prius will keep the car cool (72 degrees) for 15-20 minutes while it is parked.

·
Registered
13,483 Posts
A friend of mine says their Prius will keep the car cool (72 degrees) for 15-20 minutes while it is parked.
That seems... odd for an energy efficient car, no?

I don't know. I just won't chance it in the summer. In the cool weather - absolutely. If I'm dashing out somewhere and she wants to come, by all means - and I leave her with windows rolled way down. I always think if someone stuck their arm in and tried to unlock the door, she'd take a chomp out of them! Plus, I'm never gone for long.

But in the kind of heat we've had this summer, I won't even leave her tied up outside a store. I worry that she'll get too hot sitting in one spot. What if the sun were to move and she was suddenly in its direct beams? Ugh. Too much worry. I'm much happier knowing she's home in the AC.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
I don't leave Penny in the car at any time when the sun could heat it up. That includes spring, summer and fall. My concern is that while I might think it's safe, some well-meaning person will call the police and she will be taken from me. I hate leaving her sad face but I tell her that she's much better off waiting for me at home than in the kill shelter.

During the holiday season, I worry that someone will take her for a Christmas present.

I will take her on any errand that I stay in the car (hubby goes into the store) or places where she can go in with me and she goes to the barn with me everyday.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I make a four/five hour trip (one way) ...... in the 100+ degree heat approximately twice a month. I cannot make the trip without potty stops (for me). I leave the dogs in the car with the car running, ac full blast and all doors locked. The car is only out of my sight for a minute or two at rest stops and never when it's McD's.

Illegal? Don't know/don't care.

·
Audrey
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's illegal to leave the car running wtih no human in it... in some areas, not all.

If your dog bites someone, it could/should/would be reported and a bite would be on the dog's record. If rabies was not up to date....not good.
I can't imagine that all bites are equal, and I'm wondering in what case defense of property would be legal. I definitely don't agree that it should be considered the owner's/dog's fault - as far as I'm concerned, people need to keep their hands off of strangers' things, including animals and car interiors. There were occasions in which I left my golden outside in a rock-solid down-stay while I was in class. Several people tried to steal him, and if he'd been 20 lbs, they would have been successful.

I'd never heard of the legal issues with leaving a car running. I just haven't been willing to do that for fear of the ac breaking down.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Sueing and reporting bites are two different things... no matter what's going on...bites would/should/could be reported. Hospitals and some other facilities -have- to report when they get in dog bites.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I am unable to lock my car when it's running unless I am in the driver's seat. As soon as I try, it unlocks. So that means my dogs would not be going anywhere with me if I had to keep the car running to keep them comfortable. Sometimes in the winter when I head up to the lake and need to stop at the grocery store, I lock them in the car while I run in, but I am constantly looking out the window to make sure everything is okay.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
How is that possible when it's 90+F outside? :confused:

I wouldn't trust that claim with my dog.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am unable to lock my car when it's running unless I am in the driver's seat. As soon as I try, it unlocks. So that means my dogs would not be going anywhere with me if I had to keep the car running to keep them comfortable. Sometimes in the winter when I head up to the lake and need to stop at the grocery store, I lock them in the car while I run in, but I am constantly looking out the window to make sure everything is okay.
Same with mine, but figured out how to trick it. With window rolled down get out and close door. Then reach through window and lock door. Then close window. YOU MUST HAVE TWO SETS OF KEYS AND LEAVE ONE SET IN THE CAR AND ONE SET WITH YOU!!! (At least that is the way mine works). Assuming your car door opens electronically with a key fob, you must use the KEY to open the door.

I certainly don't LIKE to leave the dogs in the car BUT I, for one, cannot make it 4 plus hours without visiting the rest stops along the way.

·
Social Therapy Dog
613 Posts
I recently purchased two high quality remote starter systems for my truck and car. I initially bought them b/c I wanted the cars warm/cool before putting my infant daughter in her car seat but found that with taking the puppers with me it works wonders! I can hit a button on the remote and remove the keys. It keeps the car running for 35 minutes but if you hit the break, put it in gear, rev the engine, it stops the engine so it cannot be stolen. It auto locks the car when you get out with the keys as well. You can restart it from inside the building from up toi 1000 YARDS away if you surpass the 35 minute mark as well. Each system was $550 but very well worth it. I'll never have a car without one of these systems anymore. Not just for the comfort of my daughter and myself but the safety of my dog during the summer as well. You can add-on various accessories as well. Such as auto roll down all windows, sunroof, tie into your existing alarm system...etc Just make sure if you consider a system, get a quality one that is recommended. The cheaper ones(anything under $300 basically) arent worth the box they are packed in and you end up having more problems then they are worth.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
If it's too hot or too cold, I leave Ranger at home or I drop him off at my parents' while I run errands if I know I'm going to be gone for awhile. If it's moderate temperature wise, I'll bring him with me since he loves car rides and is really good about it.

Last winter I went out to the barn for a farrier appointment, thinking Ranger would be in the car for 20 mins...farrier was 45 min late and the other people never showed up so I had to bring in 2 more horses. By the time I was out of there, Ranger had been in the car for over 2 hours! AND it was minus 15 degrees outside. I had ran out there a few times before the farrier got there to blast the heat to try to keep the truck mildly warm, but once the farrier arrived, I couldn't get out there. I got to the truck thinking poor Ranger had to be freezing. I looked in the back seat and he was curled up under my puffy down jacket, perfectly warm and happy.

In the summer, I'm way more cautious. I either leave my errands until the last bit of the day or else, as mentioned, leave him at home or at the parents. It gets too hot, too quickly as I found out myself one day when I was waiting to pick up my mom. It was only 18 degrees but we were parked in full sun and had the windows down to no avail. I was melting but didn't want to keep the truck running with the ac on. We were only in there for 5 minutes before I gave up and took Ranger outside in the shade (noticeably cooler) before he overheated. That was FIVE minutes and not even "hot" out.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I used to take the boys on errands when they could go into the store with me (bank, hardware store, Petco) otherwise I would only take them when it is 60 degrees and cooler. Never leave the car running or windows down. Just a crack. And only leave them in the car for a few min. Otherwise they are better off at home.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
I have a hard enough time driving myself in 100+ heat with the A/C going full blast these days, let alone worrying about the dogs.

·
Kate
22,631 Posts
I thought about this thread earlier today, when I was running quickie errands with my golden. This was well before noon so not too hot yet, but I still had all the windows open and I was rushing and making sure he wasn't waiting any longer than 5 minutes at each stop.

I was at the petstore to pick up more rawhide bones for him and was checking out when this lady stormed in and started crabbing about somebody who left their golden retriever in the car. When I told her it was my dog, she then carried on like I was neglecting my golden or whatever.

When I went out to the car he was just sitting there smiling. He was panting, but it wasn't too bad. Again I had all my windows open and he'd just been out there for a couple minutes. o_O

I guess I don't blame the woman for going ballistic on me, but I think the woman could have relaxed when she saw I was checking out. :)

ETA - I had him with me because I knew all three places I was stopping at (bank, gas station, and petstore), I'd find a parking spot in front where I could keep an eye on him + I knew I'd be in and out.

·
Registered
Brady Aedan Finch and Wren
13,684 Posts
I thought about this thread earlier today, when I was running quickie errands with my golden. This was well before noon so not too hot yet, but I still had all the windows open and I was rushing and making sure he wasn't waiting any longer than 5 minutes at each stop.

I was at the petstore to pick up more rawhide bones for him and was checking out when this lady stormed in and started crabbing about somebody who left their golden retriever in the car. When I told her it was my dog, she then carried on like I was neglecting my golden or whatever.

When I went out to the car he was just sitting there smiling. He was panting, but it wasn't too bad. Again I had all my windows open and he'd just been out there for a couple minutes. o_O

I guess I don't blame the woman for going ballistic on me, but I think the woman could have relaxed when she saw I was checking out. :)
I think she was probably well meaning, but I too get a bit tired of people passing judgement - the news articles you read really don't make it clear that it is cars with closed or cracked windows that are dangerous - so people think anyone leaving a dog in a car is negligent and deserves to be harassed or worse.

I think many of these people would be very shocked to see how comfortable show and performance dogs can be while in a vehicle all day as long as the vehicle is open - yes with fans and solar blankets as needed but still in the vehicles or under shade tents...

I now will set up my solar blankets even if I am running into a store for a few minutes only, just to prevent these problems <sigh> people ask what I am doing, but once I explain how the car stays cool and the weave allows plenty of air circulation, they nod wisely and wander away satisfied that I am not tying to kill my dogs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts