Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Premium Member
Joined
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those are words you hate to hear the vet say.

Sandy was diagnosed yesterday with lymphoma. We've had goldens since 1997. Just once I'd like to have one live to be old and die of old age. She is only 6.

We are supposed to hear from our regular vet today who happens to be the specialist in this area and chemo with more details and so on. I've been around these dogs long enough to know the vet won't have much good to say.

馃槶

Sandy last summer
 

Premium Member
Joined
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Update - Things are changing fast for Sandy. I believe not in a good way. She has a chemo treatment today at noon.
We'll see what we are told. Not too optimistic. Like a lot of us here, I've been down this road before. Too many times. :(
 

Premium Member
Joined
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Another update... I'm taking Sandy to an canine ophthalmologist today - I left out details above but earlier this week her eye started to swell. It's pretty apparent to me the cancer has gone to her eye. Our regular vet who is treating her and doing the chemo is out of town and I don't want to take her in as an emergency and just see any vet. She needs a specialist. The only good thing is that Sandy doesn't show any signs of pain. She's on a number of meds .
 

Premium Member
Joined
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Update. She had her eye removed today at about 2:00 pm. Doctor called and said everything went fine. We get to pick her up tomorrow morning.

Yesterday the ophthalmologist I took her to said her eye needed to be removed sooner than later. So I drove her to our regular vet hospital. They are a 24x7x365 full service animal hospital. I knew it would be a long wait.
Got there at 5:00 pm. A Vet finally saw us at 10:00 pm. Said she would be operated on in the middle of the night, to go home, and they would notify us after the operation.
Never got a call. So I called them first thing this morning. Surgery was postponed till 10 am this morning. 10 came and went and no call. Postponed till 2:00 pm this afternoon. Long 24 hours.

She should feel better if nothing else. We are concerned how the operation today will affect her chemo, or how the chemo will affect her recovery from the operation. We will found out this week.
 

Premium Member
Joined
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Thanks all again for the kind words and thoughts.

We got her home yesterday mid day. She is doing well. Looks horrible but not as bad as Friday night. These dogs are so resilient it's amazing. She is not supposed to run, jump, or play for two weeks. Yesterday afternoon they were all outside. She thought it was a good idea to jump up and run down the driveway barking at something. So she feels well enough to bark and chew nylabones. :)

We'll see on Wednesday when we see the doctor about what this will do in regards to her chemo. The doctor had noted in her records to remove the eye if the swelling didn't go down and he was also contacted. So we'll see.

Thanks.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top