Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Mary
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I had Tucker and my kids at my parents house swimming yesterday. He was literally in and out of the pool from 12-8. He would go in a bunch of times, dry off, then head in again. And being that it was in the 80's yesterday, he didn't have a ton of time in between swims.:) He did have a two hour break when we ate dinner.
He was exhausted last night, which was understandable. He was still VERY sleepy today, but when he is awake, his tail is down, and sometimes, even between his legs. Could this be from being tired from swimming? Just wondering. His tail position is normally in the down postion, but this is much lower, almost in a submissive postion. He's eaten fine, and when he does perk up, he acts normally, with the exception of the tail. Any opinions would be great.
Thanks!
BTW, Tucker is almost 11 months old, and this is by far, the most activity he's had since I got him almost three months ago.

·
Tucker's Human ~ Melissa
817 Posts
That happens to my friends' labs when they swim too much. As far as what they have told me, the tails bounce back after a few days or so. I'd say keep an eye on it -just in case. You could also google limp tail or cold-water tail.

I'm sure Tucker's wagger will be back to normal soon!

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
I agree it could be limp tail google it. Hudson has had it on 2 occasions, it could be painful and usually an anti inflammitory tablet does the trick. Hope he will be back to normal soon.

·
I've seen all good people
5,002 Posts
I agree with the above poster. It sounds like limp tail or dead tail! Merlin had this happen a few years ago after his first beach trip. It took about 4 days before he was back to normal. After a call to the vet I didn't give him anything for it, just kept an eye on him.

A few people here suggested that I make sure to dry his tail and the base of his tail thoroughly after he gets wet. I think it's good advice but I don't always do it. It depends on the situation (kinda hard when your hiking around the river or lake). FWIW, it's never happened again.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Yup. Sounds like limp tail.

·
Mary
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone! I thought it might have something to do with all his swimming, but I just wanted to make sure. He's super tired today. Poor pup. All that fun, and he ends up a sleepy dog with a limp tail! :uhoh:
I hope he feels better tomorrow, and I'll make sure to keep an eye on it. If there's no improvement, I'll give the vet a call. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Wow, so interesting that you are having this experience now, as we literally just went through this with our 11 month old boy. After a day of lots of swimming, his tail just hung there dead, and it seemed to really bother him. We were afraid that he had something wrong internally, as he was unable to get comfy, looking and biting at his bum, crying....we had no idea the problem began and ended at only his tail. Apparently it is a very painful condition (and he's a little bit of a drama-queen by nature). We cut our vacation short, returned to town, and made an appointment for later that day with the vet. I then called his breeder, who told me it was dead-tail and not to bother taking him in as all they can do is give him a pain-killer and that it would get better on it's own in 2-3 days. Well, hubby was scared for his little guy so we took him to the vet anyways, and lo and behold, breeder was right (as usual!). Our vet called it limp-tail, and also reffered to little Steve as having a 'broken wag'. 2 days later the tail was totally normal, and he hasn't had the problem since. Should of saved the $70 visit fee and just listened to the breeder in the first place!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts