Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
My real name is Mercy
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Max was neutered (at 13.5 months) right after Thanksgiving...suddenly, just in the last couple weeks he's begun chewing and pulling out the feathers at the base of his tail. He's never done this before and the hair/feathers for the first 4-5 inches at the base of his tail are now very short. Until now, he had a beautiful full tail.

He's been on K-9 Advantix since a very early age and I don't find any signs of fleas or bites.

I'm wondering if this could have anything to do with the neutering (the change in hormones). OCD? Sudden neurosis? Any ideas or suggestions?

Please help...if this is a medical issue, I want to get him into the vet ASAP. Thank you!
Trids

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Mine will pull on his tail occasionally. When I catch him at it, I spray a bitter apple type spray on his tail so he will leave it alone. Try that and see if it stops him.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
It could be hormonal from him getting neutered, so I would take him to the vet. Has he had any soft poop lately? Maybe his anal glands could be bothering him.

·
Registered
16,316 Posts
Was just today talking to the vet about two of mine doing that, she seems to think in their case it's allergies, dry skin.

She sugested fish oil first and see how that goes.

·
My real name is Mercy
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All great ideas....I had considered a food allergy, as we recently switched him from Canadiae (which he didn't care for) to Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul (which he seems to like), but I was hoping to be wrong.

It seemed too coincidental so soon after the surgery for it not to be related, but I'm out of ideas. Guess it's time for another vet visit. Darn vet bills!

Thanks a bunch, guys!
Trids

·
My real name is Mercy
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another thought....

after the neuter surgery Max had an awful time with the e-collar and actually smashed one to pieces. He was very freaked out by it & we ultimately had to use three different restraining collars to prevent him from licking the incision before finding one that sometimes worked.

Due to that behavior, the vet gave him an anti-anxiety medication to calm him down - ACE something (I forget the name & the bottle is at home).

Could going off the anti-anxiety medication have anything to do with the new chewing/stripping of tail feathers?

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts