Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that have experience in either of these issues with your dogs, would you mind posting the earliest symptoms that you noticed that caused you to seek a diagnosis? Thank you. oops just noticed the word esophagus is a typo and I can't correct the title.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
my friends dog would regurgitate (versus vomit)...food would bounce back up with no retching sounds...

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
In LP typically you hear hoarse, raspy breathing, and a hoarse bark. I think the breathing is noticed first.
As Mary said, in ME they regurgitate their food.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
like barb says, a raspy kind of breathing with a bark that sounds hoarse, also a kind of gagging sound once in a while

·
where the tails wag
13,380 Posts
Yes, LP starts as a raspy panting breathing after exertion or during hot weather. It can also be a hoarse bark and gagging.

One way I've heard it described is the old dog breathing. If you hear this starting, I would start precautions - raised water & feeding bowls, no collars, no exercise in the heat or cold, no swimming etc.

This is what killed my Rowdy. There comes a point where surgery may be needed either as a prevention for emergency or as an emergency measure. My Rowdy went in for tie-back surgery and aspirated during recovery, had aspiration pneumonia by the following day - he never came home.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I'm pretty sure Sage has mild LP (I won't do surgery on a 14 year old, so I haven't bothered to pursue it). His started out with random gagging/hacking progressing to basically no bark. He has also had a bout of aspiration pneumonia. Luckily he has no interest in any form of exercise, so it doesn't really affect his day to day life.

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
Bea Lee had mild ME most of her life. Raising her bowl and soaking her kibble kept things under control. We had to be really careful she didn't drink a whole lot right after she ate, that's what really caused problems. When she got older, she would make this reverse sneeze type sound if she didn't sleep with her head elevated.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anne - you are scaring me.....why are you asking about this if you are OK with me asking??
I'm concerned that Toby is starting to stop barking mid bark and gag/gasp, as if it is hurting him. He also gags now, since his cataract surgery. It's enough that my radar is now on alert. At first I thought it might be a tracheal irritation from being tubed during his cataract surgery- he didn't bark for over a week after that and it is rare for him not to talk to us. Then I thought perhaps the Rimadyl was causing some acid reflux (he burps now). We stopped the Rimadyl and added pepcid and it improved, but now it's become more frequent again....and unfortunately he's now back on Rimadyl for an orthopedic injury. :( If his lameness doesn't improve by Tuesday we are doing a light sedation to radiograph him and the vet said they can tube him and look at his trachea at that time. He's also a regurgitator of food from time to time. I'm concerned, worried, stressed now on so many levels. :(

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
oh Anne, you have been through so much, and now this, too. I hope it turns out to be nothing.
Just a really wild thought, maybe a mild case of kennel cough or an URI that he picked up at one of the vet visits?

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Keep us posted on Toby.

Reactions: Dallas Gold

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Oh Anne, when I first saw this, I thought perhaps it was for the primer you're working on. So sorry to hear about Toby..... praying it's nothing and will resolve itself.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh Anne, you have been through so much, and now this, too. I hope it turns out to be nothing.
Just a really wild thought, maybe a mild case of kennel cough or an URI that he picked up at one of the vet visits?
I don't think it's KC, because it only happens with barking and excitement....but...his bordatella is due this month and hubby just told me Toby's nose is running....

On the other hand, this horse barking/stopping mid-bark has been going on since the surgery.

He's a mystery and it's breaking my heart. :(

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
With Sage I never felt like it hurt him to bark. It's just very quiet and hoarse sounding, but he still does it plenty! And his was a very slow progression. Probably 3-4 years.

I wonder if his tonsils are inflamed or something, since it seems like it hurts him?

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Maybe it was from the tube during surgery and will heal. I am praying for all of you! Poor Toby.

Max had ongoing coughing, vomiting white foam and was wrongly diagnosed with kennel cough. He then went to vomiting his food and having aspiration pneumonia.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I hate to hijack, but this thread seems like a good place to ask...

Flora occasionally has these moments where, after eating a treat or even just out of the blue, she will start sort of gagging or doing that kind of head bobbing thing a dog does before it vomits. She never vomits, and it only lasts a couple of seconds or so, but I've always wondered what in hell's bells she's doing. This happens frequently - several times a week.

It almost sounds like she's struggling to breathe or something, like she has something in her throat, but she never seems panicked or anything. Could this be related to LP or is she just a silly dog? Her barking and breathing are otherwise completely normal.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
With Sage I never felt like it hurt him to bark. It's just very quiet and hoarse sounding, but he still does it plenty! And his was a very slow progression. Probably 3-4 years.

I wonder if his tonsils are inflamed or something, since it seems like it hurts him?
How can a veterinarian check the tonsils? Is it a sedated procedure where they stick a tube down to examine? That's what I'd like to avoid if at all possible....

His surgery was exactly 9 weeks ago. Is it common for a dog to have soreness or irritation from a tube that far out? We had him on continuous rimadyl, then the burping started and we cut that and started the pepcid and the burping went away for the most part. I'm wondering if the Rimadyl caused upper GI symptoms to flare and he's just not recovering from them quickly enough. He was off rimadyl for almost 2 weeks, but we started it yesterday due to his lameness in his left front limb. His vet added dissolved sucralfate to the mix to help coat his throat and stomach.

I sure wish he could talk and tell me exactly what is bothering him.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I hate to hijack, but this thread seems like a good place to ask...

Flora occasionally has these moments where, after eating a treat or even just out of the blue, she will start sort of gagging or doing that kind of head bobbing thing a dog does before it vomits. She never vomits, and it only lasts a couple of seconds or so, but I've always wondered what in hell's bells she's doing. This happens frequently - several times a week.

It almost sounds like she's struggling to breathe or something, like she has something in her throat, but she never seems panicked or anything. Could this be related to LP or is she just a silly dog? Her barking and breathing are otherwise completely normal.
Actually it's not a hijack. We saw that towards the very end of our first Golden's life (he was 12) and we were suspecting some sort of tracheal injury at that time as well. We saw the exact same thing you describe.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
How can a veterinarian check the tonsils? Is it a sedated procedure where they stick a tube down to examine? That's what I'd like to avoid if at all possible....
Especially if they are inflamed you can see them if you open the mouth wide (no sedation needed).

1 - 20 of 60 Posts