Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past week we noticed that our precious golden retriever had swollen lymph nodes (neck only) and little appetite for her dog food. We took her to the vet on the exact day of her 4th birthday. The vet did bloodwork which came back late Friday. It showed no infection. At this point, I am a nervous wreck with the thought that it could be lymphoma. Our girl just turned 4. Does anyone know of a golden getting lymphoma this young? I am trying to hold out hope that it could be something else. Does anyone know of another reason why her lymph nodes would be enlarged? Thanks so much

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She is on an antibiotic. The vets wants to see her again the middle of next week to check the size of the lymph nodes and depending on the results, he will send us to internal medicine. They would then perform more tests there.

·
Registered
209 Posts
This past week we noticed that our precious golden retriever had swollen lymph nodes (neck only) and little appetite for her dog food. We took her to the vet on the exact day of her 4th birthday. The vet did bloodwork which came back late Friday. It showed no infection. At this point, I am a nervous wreck with the thought that it could be lymphoma. Our girl just turned 4. Does anyone know of a golden getting lymphoma this young? I am trying to hold out hope that it could be something else. Does anyone know of another reason why her lymph nodes would be enlarged? Thanks so much
Another reason for NECK ONLY lymph nodes to be increased is the confusion between salivary glands and lymph nodes location; they are in roughly the same part of the neck. It happened to us the summer of 2019. The vet detected significantly increased lymph nodes in Gatsby neck. He warned me about high possibility of lymphoma as Gatsby being age of 7 was a prime suspect for lymphoma. Couple of days later, few tests later I received apologies that the vet mistook salivary glands for lymph nodes. This is a well-respected vet establishment….. Lymphoma at age of 4 happens, but I would think all lymph nodes would be affected by this disease.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another reason for NECK ONLY lymph nodes to be increased is the confusion between salivary glands and lymph nodes location; they are in roughly the same part of the neck. It happened to us the summer of 2019. The vet detected significantly increased lymph nodes in Gatsby neck. He warned me about high possibility of lymphoma as Gatsby being age of 7 was a prime suspect for lymphoma. Couple of days later, few tests later I received apologies that the vet mistook salivary glands for lymph nodes. This is a well-respected vet establishment….. Lymphoma at age of 4 happens, but I would think all lymph nodes would be affected by this disease.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Did Gatsby have any other symptoms? Like loss of appetite.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience. Did Gatsby have any other symptoms? Like loss of appetite.
At that time, I brought him to the vet because he was not himself. He had no interest in life (no interest in playing, toys, walks or petting). I can’t judge his appetite as this is the dog that is never hungry and doesn’t care about food or treats.

·
Super Moderator
1,218 Posts
How difficult for you. Please keep us posted. Hoping for the best outcome possible.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the kind thoughts. It has been a terrible few days. This precious Golden is also best friends with my 2 and 4 year old kids 😪. My 4 year old daughter has grown up with her....

I believe we are going to try chemo. It is still something we need to discuss as a family. I am concerned about my kids seeing their beloved dog sick.

I am going to write a separate post about this, but the dog is from the breeder Copper Lee in Glen Mills, Pa. I trusted this breeder when i was told there was no genetic issues in her dogs and that the only cancer occurred in much more elderly dogs.

·
Super Moderator
1,218 Posts
Concerning chemo from what I understand dogs tolerate it much better than humans. Keeping you and your family in my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
1,636 Posts
I am going to write a separate post about this, but the dog is from the breeder Copper Lee in Glen Mills, Pa. I trusted this breeder when i was told there was no genetic issues in her dogs and that the only cancer occurred in much more elderly dogs.
Sadly, cancer is very unpredictable and it's impossible for anyone, breeder or not, to say whether or not, and at what age, it will strike. I lost my last Golden at age 8 to hemangiosarcoma, and when I was ready for another pup, I did a lot of research to find lines that seemed to be less affected by cancer. The litter I chose came from very long-lived lines: my pup's maternal grandmother was the oldest competing dog at last year's AKC national obedience championship, and I have video of his paternal grandmother and three of her littermates competing in a team obedience competition at age 13. And yet, about a year after I brought my pup home, his sire - one of North America's top agility dogs - was suddenly and unexpectedly diagnosed with lymphoma. So I just have to live with the uncertainty now. There literally are no guarantees. I'm desperately sorry you're going through this and I understand that it's tempting to try and find someone to blame, but sometimes nobody is at fault. I'm sure your breeder will be devastated when she hears your news.

I'm sad for what you're going through and wish you strength.

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,821 Posts
I'm really sorry for what you're facing, sending good thoughts and prayers to you and your girl.

Here is a thread that is several years old, but you might find some of the info it contains helpful-

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Along with the others, I am also so sorry to hear the bad news. Like OscarsDad I have heard chemo is not as hard for dogs as for humans. It scares me so much to even think of cancer at 4 years old.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update on Cara- She had her first chemo treatment last Friday. She seemed fine right afterwards but did vomit a few hours later. She was sluggish for the first part of the next day, BUT she turned into her old self later on Saturday. The past several days she has been feeling well, eating very well and has been full of energy and happiness. It has been so nice seeing her acting like the joyful puppy she still is. The swollen lymph nodes in her neck and behind her one knee have subsided. Here's to hoping we have alot more time with our furry friend!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Update on Cara- She had her first chemo treatment last Friday. She seemed fine right afterwards but did vomit a few hours later. She was sluggish for the first part of the next day, BUT she turned into her old self later on Saturday. The past several days she has been feeling well, eating very well and has been full of energy and happiness. It has been so nice seeing her acting like the joyful puppy she still is. The swollen lymph nodes in her neck and behind her one knee have subsided. Here's to hoping we have alot more time with our furry friend!
My dog had an aggressive cancer that took him in four months (he turned nine two months before he passed), but they were a good four months. Like yours, he was sluggish for three to five days after chemo, but not really acting sick -- just tired. He ate and had no problems with diarrhea. Once he regrouped he was swimming, walking, and enjoying life. He swam in the week before he passed. I think for most dogs, chemo really isn't that hard on them.

Prayers for your baby the chemo will give her more time with you and enjoying life. I'm so sorry about the diagnosis.

·
Kristy
9,166 Posts
My heart goes out to you, the unfairness of this happening to such a young dog is absolutely gut wrenching. Please know we are pulling for this to give you good quality years with Cara and I'm saying a prayer for her and for your family. I hope you will come back periodically to update us on progress and eventual long term outcomes. Your post could be a lifeline for another family in the future with a similar heartbreak. Thinking of Cara.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts