Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
OceanGolden
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our puppy is just about a year old. We've struggled over the past year to maintain her stool-- after lots of tests and special diets etc., she just seems prone to loose stool. We finally found a balance on Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy Large Breed - Chicken. Hooray!!

When she was 9 months old, her vet suggested we could switch to adult formula. Just when we began the transition, she went into heat and between the two changes--had loose stool again. Back to chicken and rice...then transitioned her back to Puppy because she had no interest in the adult formula.

Now at 12 months, we're hesitant to switch her to adult---she's a dog you really have to persuade to eat, and right now she LOVES eating her kibble and her stool is fine!

How long can we keep her on puppy kibble?? I've read between 9-18 months... but is more than 12 months too long for a golden?

Thank you all!!

·
Registered
7,280 Posts
We fed Max Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy Food. The bag indicated that it could be fed for the first two years. We fed Max the puppy food until he was around 18 months. Generally, larger dogs, like Golden Retrievers are considered "puppies" until age two. If your girl is doing well on the puppy formula, I would leave her on it for now.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
We have always switched our Goldens to adult kibble at 6 months. It's best not to keep them on puppy food for longer than that in order to prevent them from growing too quickly and developing bone and joint problems later on. Slow growth is best. I know that some people don't even feed puppy kibble at all and just go with an all-life stages formula, which is also perfectly acceptable.

Personally, I am not a fan of Blue Buffalo and would never feed it. Not only is the protein extremely high, which alone can cause stool issues, but there have been a lot of issues with that food as of late. They recently had a huge class action lawsuit again them, so it's not a brand that I recommend. We have always had great results with Pro Plan. We alternate between the sporting performance formula and the sensitive skin and stomach formula. All of our dogs have been raised on Pro Plan from puppyhood and I have nothing but great things to say about it. We just brought home a new pup this weekend and he is on PP LB puppy, which he will stay on until he is 6 months and then will switch to sporting performance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts