Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two pups are approaching 6 months and are about 55 pounds. I was planning on switching them over to adult food around 9 months. They have been on Nutro Natural Choice LB puppy food so far and are doing great. I've been researching the brands a lot lately and can't make a decision. I am leaning towards Canidae All Life Stages. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I think Canidae ALS is a great food. Casey, my parent's dog is doing wonderfully on it. As long as it agrees with your dogs, I think you have made a fine decision. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Canidae All Life Stages is simply that - a food for any age of dog. You could feed it to a puppy or a senior dog. Sounds like a reasonable choice and hope it works. If you're wanting a little more protein and fat for a developing puppy than the regular Canidae ALS (25/15), you could also think about the Canidae Grain Free ALS with 34% protein and 18% fat.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After reading a ton of reviews, blogs, etc. I think I changed my mind to California Natural. Seems to be readily available and priced right.

Is 9 months a good age to switch over from Nutro LB puppy to CN? Any particular type of CN working better for your Golden's? Both pups are the same age and get lots of exercise with each other.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Layla is 5 months and we just recently switched her to adult Innova kibble.

I know many feed sweet potato and herring due to allergies. Any would be a great mix if your dog is allergy-free.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
After reading a ton of reviews, blogs, etc. I think I changed my mind to California Natural. Seems to be readily available and priced right.

Is 9 months a good age to switch over from Nutro LB puppy to CN? Any particular type of CN working better for your Golden's? Both pups are the same age and get lots of exercise with each other.
If you're now considering California Natural, I suggest transitioning now to the
CN Chicken Meal and Rice Puppy. If it works with your dog, you could continue feeding it indefinitely. Puppy formulas are truly "all life stages" foods. IMO, the 26% protein and 16% fat in the Puppy version is especially needed for a growing puppy. The 21% protein and 11% fat in the CN Adult formulas seems borderline low for most dogs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts