Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
All Life Stages food is not the same as adult food. All Life Stages foods meet the AAFCO requirements for “all life stages”, which includes the pregnant and nursing mother, puppyhood, and adulthood. “Adult” foods not formulated for AAFCO All Life Stages aren’t good for growing puppies because they don’t have the correct calcium to phosphorus ratio for growing large breed puppies.

So while there might not be one specific “yes do this”answer, there if a “don’t do this one” answer. When Eevee was a puppy, I did switch her to Pro Plan Sport 30/20 at about 16 weeks. The Sport 30/20 formulas are All Life Stages, including large breed puppies.
Aren't there some all life stages foods that aren't appropriate for large breed pups.....I think they list weight limits or something?
Just mentioning so OP and other readers would be aware....

·
Lead Super Moderator
2,376 Posts
Aren't there some all life stages foods that aren't appropriate for large breed pups.....I think they list weight limits or something?
Just mentioning so OP and other readers would be aware....
Some AAFCO statements don’t say “for all life stages including growth of large breed puppies.” AAFCO considers “large breeds” to be those that reach 70 lb or more as adults.

Reactions: FurdogDad

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
All Life Stages food is not the same as adult food. All Life Stages foods meet the AAFCO requirements for “all life stages”, which includes the pregnant and nursing mother, puppyhood, and adulthood. “Adult” foods not formulated for AAFCO All Life Stages aren’t good for growing puppies because they don’t have the correct calcium to phosphorus ratio for growing large breed puppies.

So while there might not be one specific “yes do this”answer, there if a “don’t do this one” answer. When Eevee was a puppy, I did switch her to Pro Plan Sport 30/20 at about 16 weeks. The Sport 30/20 formulas are All Life Stages, including large breed puppies.
Good to know; thanks for the information :). I just looked over the purina pro plan food options, and I think only the sport performance varieties are all life stages? Is that correct? I don't know if this would be the right food for my dog as he's not that active at this point.

·
Lead Super Moderator
2,376 Posts
It appears to be that way on the Purina website. However, the 27/17 and 26/16 formulas are lower calorie than the 30/20 formulas. Puppies really don't need to eat very much volume anyway. I think my girl peaked at around 9 months with about 4 total cups per day and then started to taper off. I don't currently feed Pro Plan, but when I did, I typically only fed 0.75-1 cup twice a day (1.5-2 cups total per day).

Reactions: abee

·
Registered
77 Posts
We just completed the transition to adult food. My dog is going to be 1 year old in July and have chosen Annameat medium large breed dog food. It is available on Chewy and my dog is doing great with it. No issues with loose stool etc. The ingredients are sourced from the US and there has never been a recall. Check it out
Hudson gets the same Annamaet dry kibble! She likes it and I like it more because I interviewed several companies by calling them directly. Annamaet has a nutritional expert on staff that asked me many questions. She had more questions for me than I had for her! Also, Annamaet has a low cal version that I mix in one meal a day to get a little weight off of Hudson. She had been getting a little heavy, not much, due to maturing.
Also, I didn't get her to adult food until 18 months. Some feel the Goldens are still needing puppy nutrition until then, some do not. Fortunately, Hudson swims almost everyday so if she was getting too much fat/calories I feel her fitness level countered that well.
Best advice I was told is don't overthink, do reasonable research and watch your pup's reactions like weight and digestive issues.

·
Marty's Dad
Martin, 3 years, Golden Retriever
33 Posts
I would recommend Nom Nom, my Marty has been on it for two years (3 now with) a cup of dry kibble per meal and the Vet says he is in excellent condition. Great coat, teeth, and energy levels. Nom Nom has a Vet in-house who after you answer a few questions tailor a menu for your dog. Plus, it is and looks like real food unlike kibble or some of the other online food sites. They say it is human grade and I believe it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My pup will be turning 16 weeks next week, and his bag of puppy formula is starting to run low. I've been looking at past topics regarding this subject (transitioning from puppy to adult food), and I'm planning on switching to adult dog food or all life stages sooner than later (thinking of doing this as soon as the current puppy formula bag runs out). My pup is currently 15.5 weeks weighing in at about 23 lbs and is on Purina pro plan large breed puppy chicken/rice formula as this is what the pup has been on with the breeder. I'm looking for recommendations for adult foods. I'm planning on sticking with Purina pro plan as my pup is doing fairly well on this brand of dog food (nice soft stools, soft coat, etc). I've been considering these 4 products:

Pro Plan Adult Large Breed Chicken & Rice Formula
Pro Plan Adult Large Breed Sensitive Skin & Stomach Salmon & Rice Formula
Pro Plan Adult Sensitive Skin & Stomach Salmon & Rice Formula
Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach Turkey & Oatmeal Dry Dog Food

I like that the sensitive formulas don't contain corn. Does anyone have any suggestions for which one to choose? And should I choose a "large breed" food for adult food? Thanks for all your help as always :)
Personal experience, I try to stay away from chicken as both my dogs had digestive issues with it. While it doesn't apply to all dogs the chicken issue is well documented on the 'net. Currently using Pro Plan/ Salmon with no issues.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
While it doesn't apply to all dogs the chicken issue is well documented on the 'net.
If you worry about all the "well documented issues" on the interwebs, you won't be able to feed your dog at all.

·
Registered
153 Posts
If you worry about all the "well documented issues" on the interwebs, you won't be able to feed your dog at all.

I'm sorry did I mention anything pertaining to being prompted to stop using this food as a result of somehow finding it on the web? NO. what I did infer is that there was more information on the internet. You do however make a good point regarding people who glean information from novices and act upon it. Personally, I acted on the advice of my vet who also mentioned the mounting evidence that there was an issue with chicken allergies. I would have been happy to clarify that point with you had you not been so interested in "grandstanding".

·
Registered
42 Posts
About this thread on What To Feed.
Right now, esp. because DCM is silent & sometimes deadly disease, your choice boils down to this: You can listen to what canine cardiologists, board-certified nutritionists & the vast majority of vets recommend.

Or … you can get your advice from less knowledgable sources— the internet or us or from some general practice vet who ‘thinks differently’. A mistake, from the standpoint of risk. Because in effect, you are saying: “WHAT data?” “WHAT experts?” “Don’t need ’em.“ ”My two doing great on Acana/ Nom Nom/TOTW/Zig/ whatever“ “See their shiny coats!“ But, um, DCM is a silent disease … Theses new trendy boutique co.s skimp on research, and many of their dog foods have been linked to DCM.

IF you’re feeding of one of these, join the big FB group devoted to DCM, read its Learning Units … rather than just thinking …‘great food, no problem.’

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Personal experience, I try to stay away from chicken as both my dogs had digestive issues with it. While it doesn't apply to all dogs the chicken issue is well documented on the 'net. Currently using Pro Plan/ Salmon with no issues.
I haven't noticed any particular issues with the chicken puppy formula. But I've bought the PPP SSS salmon because I've heard many goldens do well on this formula

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
About this thread on What To Feed.
Right now, esp. because DCM is silent & sometimes deadly disease, your choice boils down to this: You can listen to what canine cardiologists, board-certified nutritionists & the vast majority of vets recommend.

Or … you can get your advice from less knowledgable sources— the internet or us or from some general practice vet who ‘thinks differently’. A mistake, from the standpoint of risk. Because in effect, you are saying: “WHAT data?” “WHAT experts?” “Don’t need ’em.“ ”My two doing great on Acana/ Nom Nom/TOTW/Zig/ whatever“ “See their shiny coats!“ But, um, DCM is a silent disease … Theses new trendy boutique co.s skimp on research, and many of their dog foods have been linked to DCM.

IF you’re feeding of one of these, join the big FB group devoted to DCM, read its Learning Units … rather than just thinking …‘great food, no problem.’

I'm planning on sticking with purina pro plan. So far, my puppy has been doing well on this and PPP seems to have worked well with golden retrievers. Definitely plan to continue grain inclusive formula.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm planning on sticking with purina pro plan. So far, my puppy has been doing well on this and PPP seems to have worked well with golden retrievers. Definitely plan to continue grain inclusive formula.
Good for you I bet it feels great to finally make a decision. Forgold's post was great just common sense. Cheers!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts