Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pup will be turning 16 weeks next week, and his bag of puppy formula is starting to run low. I've been looking at past topics regarding this subject (transitioning from puppy to adult food), and I'm planning on switching to adult dog food or all life stages sooner than later (thinking of doing this as soon as the current puppy formula bag runs out). My pup is currently 15.5 weeks weighing in at about 23 lbs and is on Purina pro plan large breed puppy chicken/rice formula as this is what the pup has been on with the breeder. I'm looking for recommendations for adult foods. I'm planning on sticking with Purina pro plan as my pup is doing fairly well on this brand of dog food (nice soft stools, soft coat, etc). I've been considering these 4 products:

Pro Plan Adult Large Breed Chicken & Rice Formula
Pro Plan Adult Large Breed Sensitive Skin & Stomach Salmon & Rice Formula
Pro Plan Adult Sensitive Skin & Stomach Salmon & Rice Formula
Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach Turkey & Oatmeal Dry Dog Food

I like that the sensitive formulas don't contain corn. Does anyone have any suggestions for which one to choose? And should I choose a "large breed" food for adult food? Thanks for all your help as always :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I want to suggest you strongly consider dumping the more common processed brands of dog food entirely. There are so many health problems that come later in life from feeding your dog kibble or feed-grade canned food. Human-grade canned food is better, but still not without issues. Human-grade raw is the best when considering investing in your dog's health long-term. I've seen many beloved pets who've been on a feed-grade kibble or canned diet their whole lives suffer a wide array of health problems and end up dying a painful death. People have forgotten that it is possible to live long and die healthy!

I recommend Raw Dog Food Co., Tiki Dog, and Nature's Logic canned or raw.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I want to suggest you strongly consider dumping the more common processed brands of dog food entirely. There are so many health problems that come later in life from feeding your dog kibble or feed-grade canned food. Human-grade canned food is better, but still not without issues. Human-grade raw is the best when considering investing in your dog's health long-term. I've seen many beloved pets who've been on a feed-grade kibble or canned diet their whole lives suffer a wide array of health problems and end up dying a painful death. People have forgotten that it is possible to live long and die healthy!

I recommend Raw Dog Food Co., Tiki Dog, and Nature's Logic canned or raw.
I've tried raw in the past with my other dog, haven't seen any significant benefits, and therefore I do not plan on feeding my golden retriever raw food diet. I also do not believe all kibble products lead to "a wide array of health problems" and "a painful death."

·
Registered
10,507 Posts
Of your choices above, and probably would make my short list even if you hadn't listed it, would be one of the PPP sensitive stomach varieties.

Reactions: abee

·
Registered
55 Posts
PPP is the most popular on this forum. Supply chain issues are making it difficult to source, though. Ordering online is your best bet.

My vet talked us in to Dr. Harvey’s this time around. Raw diet is too complicated for me, and so it’s a great compromise (albeit pricier than PPP when you factor in protein). I feel better that he’s getting a wide variety of food. I accept I may be projecting my humanity on him, but it makes me sad to think of eating the same dry cereal every day. I cook his protein in my Instant Pot and find it easy and convenient, though nothing wrong with using raw meat (just grosses me out).

Anyway, for kibble I think PPP is tried and true.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
My dogs do well on PPP Chicken and rice, the other formulas are fine too.

There are so many health problems that come later in life from feeding your dog kibble or feed-grade canned food.
Name a few and post links to studies that prove it.
You won't because there are none.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just FYI, there is a considerable size difference in the kibbles of adult regular and adult large breed PPP SSS salmon — small triangles vs large, round kibble pieces. I don’t know if that would make a difference for your puppy. I’ve used PPP chicken and rice and it was fine, but my girl’s stool is better on the salmon.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Just FYI, there is a considerable size difference in the kibbles of adult regular and large breed PPP SSS salmon — small triangles vs large, round kibble pieces. I don’t know if that would make a difference for your puppy.
For a 20+ pound puppy it will not.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just FYI, there is a considerable size difference in the kibbles of adult regular and adult large breed PPP SSS salmon — small triangles vs large, round kibble pieces. I don’t know if that would make a difference for your puppy. I’ve used PPP chicken and rice and it was fine, but my girl’s stool is better on the salmon.
I think I'm leaning towards the salmon variety. Other than the kibble size, what are the differences between the large breed vs regular?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think I'm leaning towards the salmon variety. Other than the kibble size, what are the differences between the large breed vs regular?
From their website, it looks like it’s just the vitamins that are different. Large breed has extras like taurine, glucosamine hydrochloride, potassium citrate, potassium chloride.

I usually feed large breed, but right now I’m just buying whichever of those two I can find.

·
Registered
VeeVee and Gabby. We are so sad - we lost VeeVee to cancer on 3.2.2022. New puppy is Breezy
172 Posts
This is interesting. Our most recent breeder told us to feed puppy food (Purina Pro Plan Puppy Lamb & Rice or Salmon & Rice or Chicken & Rice) until she reaches six months old. She is currently 14 weeks old. Just wondering about the switch to adult food at 16 weeks. We previously had a Golden puppy 5 years ago and that breeder (not the same as this time around) wanted us to keep her on puppy food until she was one year old. Just curious about all this. Thank you.

·
Lead Super Moderator
2,376 Posts
Just make sure that whichever formula you pick is an All Life Stages formula. At 16 weeks, your pup is still growing very fast and you need the right ratio of minerals for bone growth.

Reactions: abee and zinnia

·
Registered
38 Posts
We just completed the transition to adult food. My dog is going to be 1 year old in July and have chosen Annameat medium large breed dog food. It is available on Chewy and my dog is doing great with it. No issues with loose stool etc. The ingredients are sourced from the US and there has never been a recall. Check it out

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is interesting. Our most recent breeder told us to feed puppy food (Purina Pro Plan Puppy Lamb & Rice or Salmon & Rice or Chicken & Rice) until she reaches six months old. She is currently 14 weeks old. Just wondering about the switch to adult food at 16 weeks. We previously had a Golden puppy 5 years ago and that breeder (not the same as this time around) wanted us to keep her on puppy food until she was one year old. Just curious about all this. Thank you.
I also fed PPP puppy food and then all life stages of a different brand before switching to adult PPP at around 1.5 yrs. Sometimes I feel like I need to get a degree in pet nutrition just to make sense of it all 😅

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think there is no one right answer. It sounds like some people start puppies on adult food as soon as they're able to eat solids, some start after the first bag of puppy food is gone while others start towards 6 months of age and some even much later, closer to 18 months. I did purchase an extra bag of the PPP puppy food as well today. After my puppy is done with the remaining puppy bag (around 2 weeks worth of food left), I'll be gradually transitioning him over to the PPP large breed SSS salmon formula in about a months time.

I wish there was one right answer, but I think it largely depends on how fast the dog is growing? I've had mostly small dogs, so I'm not exactly sure of when the best time to switch is for larger dogs.

·
Lead Super Moderator
2,376 Posts
I think there is no one right answer. It sounds like some people start puppies on adult food as soon as they're able to eat solids, some start after the first bag of puppy food is gone while others start towards 6 months of age and some even much later, closer to 18 months. I did purchase an extra bag of the PPP puppy food as well today. After my puppy is done with the remaining puppy bag (around 2 weeks worth of food left), I'll be gradually transitioning him over to the PPP large breed SSS salmon formula in about a months time.

I wish there was one right answer, but I think it largely depends on how fast the dog is growing? I've had mostly small dogs, so I'm not exactly sure of when the best time to switch is for larger dogs.
All Life Stages food is not the same as adult food. All Life Stages foods meet the AAFCO requirements for “all life stages”, which includes the pregnant and nursing mother, puppyhood, and adulthood. “Adult” foods not formulated for AAFCO All Life Stages aren’t good for growing puppies because they don’t have the correct calcium to phosphorus ratio for growing large breed puppies.

So while there might not be one specific “yes do this”answer, there if a “don’t do this one” answer. When Eevee was a puppy, I did switch her to Pro Plan Sport 30/20 at about 16 weeks. The Sport 30/20 formulas are All Life Stages, including large breed puppies.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts