Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

My almost 5 month old pupper has had diarrhea on and off since I got her 2 weeks ago- she’s had her checkups at the vet and everything’s come back normal, she’s also been dewormed and treated for flea/ticks recently again. The breeder has been feeding her the purple bag of Costco dog food (for adults) of chicken rice and veggies.

I tried stopping her food for 2 days and giving boiled chicken, rice and a bit of potatoes and her diarrhea instantly cleared up. Went back to her kibble and soft serve diarrhea this morning (ugh)! I’ve noticed her itching occasionally and biting her paws so I’m thinking of changing her food to salmon or lamb - looking for food brand recommendations please!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Go back to boiled chicken and rice as before. If that works, it will take a few days of maybe two weeks to get the pup completely settled down. The breeder food is for adults, I would stay away from that. Whatever you try start out with, start by adding a few kibbles (Tablespoon) to the chicken and rice for a few days, slowly increasing the amount of kibble. If she gets more diarrhea during this process stop it and go to another puppy kibble with different ingredients. Then do the same process. Do not use any adult food, only puppy food for large dogs. I would start with Purina Puppy Chow (Purina Puppy Chow Large Breed Puppy Dog Food) has chicken in it. Whatever mix you think she would tolerate best. Again, go slow on adding the mix, puppies need time to adjust to new foods. That is true throughout their life, never go 'cold turkey' to a new dog food...

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
I agree that it looks like the current food is formulated for adult dogs, so I would definitely switch to a puppy food (check the bag of any dog food and there should be an "AFFCO statement" that says something like "[Pet Food Name] is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for growth/all life stages including growth of large-size dogs (70 lbs or more as an adult)" (the underlined information is important - if it says something about "maintenance" or "except for the growth of large size dogs" then it's not appropriate for a golden retriever puppy).

Otherwise, I agree with what 3Goldens2Keep says, except my recommended food to try would be the Purina ProPlan Sensitive Skin and Stomach food which is much higher quality than Puppy Chow (and yes, the price reflects that!). I'd lean toward the Salmon based food just in case the chicken is an issue - although if it was I would expect the chicken and rice meals to be causing an issue too...

Reactions: sabs08

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both! I’m going to switch back to the chicken and rice since that seemed to do the trick and get the Purina Pro Plan salmon for puppies.

Does anyone have tips on how to transition? She already had diarrhea with her regular kibble so should I transition slowly from the chicken/rice to the PPP and stop the chicken kibble all together?

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
As 3Goldens2Keep suggested, I'd put her back on chicken and rice for several days and let her digestive track settle down (you could also add a little canned pumpkin - straight pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling!) which will give her a few more nutrients and some fiber. Once you've had several days of normal stools, maybe try using some of the new kibble as training treats for a day or so (no more than a small handful total). If stools stay solid, replace about 25% of the chicken/rice with the new kibble. If all continues to go well, then a few days later replace 50% and so on until she's fully transitioned (hopefully this will take only about a week to fully transition her to the new food). Any time she seems to be getting soft, back up a step and see if she stabilizes. Sometimes dogs with sensitive digestive tracks need an even slower transition (that said, Chicken and rice do not contain enough nutrition for a growing puppy, so if you can't make the transition work within a week or so, you might need to check back in with your vet).

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
.. and yes, I'd stop feeding the CostCo food entirely!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Thank you both! I’m going to switch back to the chicken and rice since that seemed to do the trick and get the Purina Pro Plan salmon for puppies.

Does anyone have tips on how to transition? She already had diarrhea with her regular kibble so should I transition slowly from the chicken/rice to the PPP and stop the chicken kibble all together?
No, I would translon her 100% back to the Chicken and rice, plus some pumpkin as noted above. Since she has already had this food and it works for her, go back completely to it and get her settled down.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sorry for the diarrhea issues! I just went through on/off diarrhea for about 1.5 months with my pup. If your dog does well with chicken/rice, I would keep her on that bland diet for longer (about a week to 10 days). It gives a chance for the GI tract to settle down. Pumpkin is okay to firm up the stool but just do a little bit. Too much can cause diarrhea because of the fiber content. I'd also recommend a probiotic (I use PPP Fortiflora and it seems to help). Then, transition her to a new food (PPP sensitive skin/stomach variety is great) VERY slowly over the next couple weeks. Hopefully that will help. If she goes back to having diarrhea, then it would warrant another vet visit. Maybe she has some colitis issues that might need some antibiotics.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for the diarrhea issues! I just went through on/off diarrhea for about 1.5 months with my pup. If your dog does well with chicken/rice, I would keep her on that bland diet for longer (about a week to 10 days). It gives a chance for the GI tract to settle down. Pumpkin is okay to firm up the stool but just do a little bit. Too much can cause diarrhea because of the fiber content. I'd also recommend a probiotic (I use PPP Fortiflora and it seems to help). Then, transition her to a new food (PPP sensitive skin/stomach variety is great) VERY slowly over the next couple weeks. Hopefully that will help. If she goes back to having diarrhea, then it would warrant another vet visit. Maybe she has some colitis issues that might need some antibiotics.
She was on antibiotics (Flagyl) that finished a couple days ago, and is on probiotics from the vet for a couple more days. I’ve also been spreading a bit of plain greek yogurt into a kong once a day for her. Definitely going to try these suggestions and hopefully she handles the PPP food.

·
Registered
80 Posts
She was on antibiotics (Flagyl) that finished a couple days ago, and is on probiotics from the vet for a couple more days. I’ve also been spreading a bit of plain greek yogurt into a kong once a day for her. Definitely going to try these suggestions and hopefully she handles the PPP food.
I would really limit the different types of food you give to your dog for now. Stick with just the chicken, rice, probiotic, and a tbsp of pumpkin if you decide to use it. No other treats, chews, or snacks. My dog was on 2 10-day courses of the same antibiotic + an additional 5 days during that span when we were trying to figure out why he'd constantly get diarrhea after he's off the antibiotic. My dog had to be on a prescription GI food for several weeks, and he's in the midst of slowly transitioning to the PPP SSS variety food. Our vet instructed eliminating everything except for the chicken/rice (beef in my case), probiotic, and eventually GI prescription food until the dog's GI issue had cleared.

·
2,734 Posts
Hi everyone,

My almost 5 month old pupper has had diarrhea on and off since I got her 2 weeks ago- she’s had her checkups at the vet and everything’s come back normal, she’s also been dewormed and treated for flea/ticks recently again. The breeder has been feeding her the purple bag of Costco dog food (for adults) of chicken rice and veggies.

I tried stopping her food for 2 days and giving boiled chicken, rice and a bit of potatoes and her diarrhea instantly cleared up. Went back to her kibble and soft serve diarrhea this morning (ugh)! I’ve noticed her itching occasionally and biting her paws so I’m thinking of changing her food to salmon or lamb - looking for food brand recommendations please!
PPP, Eukanuba, and Royal Canin.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: It’s been almost a week of no diarrhea!!! (fingers crossed still 🤣). About halfway through transitioning from chicken/rice to PPP puppy salmon and rice!

Nova seems to have more energy and also doesn’t lick/bite her paws or skin much at all! Hoping it stays this way but I’m very impressed 💃🏽

1 - 12 of 12 Posts