Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Swimming

2K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  jeffreyzone 
#1 ·
Hi Guys!
Due to some technical problems, its been a long time. But we're back. And I'm pleased to report that our Harvey is doing very nicely indeed.
He's around 11 months old now, and we've actually had him for 6 months today!
He's learnt things rather quickly I would say. I know we didn't experience those very early days, but even toilet training was a bit of a breeze (I was expecting worse).
Recent developments include him being able to cock is leg. Might seem a bit silly, but he's been ever so proud of himself for doing it. Mind you, its a bit of a job stopping him now!
Also, he's finally taken to water. He's gradually come round to having a quick rinse in the bath after a muddy walk, but when we tried the sea, he wouldn't go near it.
Lately, however, we've been taking him to a nearby lake where its much calmer & quieter. And I have to say, he absolutely loves it. Can't get him to leap into the water yet, but he does like a little swim.
Unfortunately, the only times I've had a camera with me, there have also been fishermen present. They don't take too kindly to dogs sploshing around in there, so I've had to leave the long lead attached to him. Still, its still early days yet, so maybe thats ok.

Here's a pic or two...

See less See more
#10 ·
I loved the photo's,but the clip was just perfect.We had the same thing happen with ducks. After a couple days he would chase them while swimming and finally one day he just gave up and ignored them.
We always carried 15-20 towels in the trunk of the car when we lived on Long Island.There's water just about everywhere,fresh and salt.Jack would dive in anywhere and chase fish.We had some excellent trout dinners,he never was able to catch a big enough salt water fish though.

#13 ·
Wasn't sure where to put this picture, so I tagged it on to this thread.
Maddy found it on her mobile phone. She'd taken it on that.

This was taken not too long after we got Harvey and we were both unaccustomed to tiring walks. This was the result...

Asleep on the floor

#17 ·
Hey There Everyone !! I Just Joined Although I've Had My Jazz Girl For Almost 2 Years Now. I'll Post Pics As Soon As The Home Computer Is Back On Line. We Have An In Ground Pool And The Big Baby Won't Go Near It Or The Lake Next Door But If There Is A Mud Puddle Within 5 Miles She'll Find It. She Is Very Skittish Though And A Loud Noise Or New Piece Of Furniture In The House And She Requires A Lot Of Coaxing To Calm Her Down. I've Had Her Since She Was 8 Wks Old And She Is Spoiled Rotten So I Can't Understand Where This Behavior Comes From. My Parents Dog Went Thru A Hurricane In Florida With Them And I Swear He Came Home And Told Her To Be Afraid. This Is My First Golden So I Am Not Sure If This Is Natural For Them But Didn't Think So. Any Thoughts??

#18 ·
Welcome to this place! :)

Not sure about new pieces of furniture or anything like that. Thats not something we've done with Harvey yet.
But the water side of things... well I think its natural for them to enjoy it. That said, it took a bit of persuasion to get Harvey to go in the lake. And he still won't go near the sea. I'm convinced thats due to the crashing waves though.

Look forward to the piccies :)

#20 ·
Back to the lake again today. Its been a couple of weeks, but Harvey hadn't forgotten what to do (as if he really would!)

Also managed to let him off the lead today, so he could go out that little bit further.

Here's a couple of photos of him. One of him launching himself in the water (still fairly gently) and one of him on his way back to shore.
Oh, and there's a video clip of him showing his mum how talented he is too :D

Look At What I can Do Mummy!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.