Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone own a pool and their Golden loves to swim in it?

Our pool is under construction right now. It should be finished in 3 weeks. We want our dog to feel comfortable with it and like to jump in and swim with us. He will be about 14 weeks when it is finished.

A friend of ours has a 2 year old lab, who does not like to swim. I know that retrievers love to swim. But she said that they did not get her into a pool until she was older, and now she hates it.

I want Jude to love it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Our dog Finn is 5 months old and he is just starting to put his feet in the water about up to his thighs. He wont swim yet and he's around water all the time. I hear they start around then, and they especially love it when you are in there playing with them. Just my experience! Good luck!

·
One of the first members!
48 Posts
We have a pool at home and Aimé loves to swim in it, several times a day, even in winter. Then she goes and rubs in the grass, mud, fallen leaves, anywhere she finds so that she can be wet and dirty and happy. I try not to let her do so before she gives the milk to her nine 4 week old puppies, but she does when I'm unaware, :doh: they all look so miserably happy afterwards!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hi Jude's mom! Yes, Retrievers generally LOVE water. Unfortunately many owners make the mistake of forcing it onto their puppy. The best way is a slow friendly approach - usually a form of play - and to show your puppy that it's a lot of fun and nothing to be afraid of. Our Golden Kia was very afraid of water at first - she barked and barely wanted to put her feet in. But then slowly, as Jozef went into the water as well, she started warming up to it and really enjoying it. Now we have hard time keeping her away from water or getting her out of it. It's a perfect place to spend the summer in!!! :p
On the other hand, our friend has a Golden as well and they almost threw him in, so you can imagine his shock and fear every time he gets near water. He is very reluctant to go into water even now at 4 years of age. It really depends a lot on the first experience.
So I wouldn't be worried, I think you will all enjoy your pool together - Jude probably the most :D.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
A suggestion would be to have a kiddie pool in your yard with about 2 inches of water in it. To get Zoe (my terrier mix) into the pool I had to break up cookies and throw them into the centre. She's such a food hound that she actually got her feet wet to get the bickies. The golden didn't have a problem with the water. He loved to stick his nose under the water to get the cookies that sunk to the bottom (mind you, not many had a chance to do that!) If you get them used to the water in a small way they'll take it from there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Austin started swimming at around 3-1/2 months. it was a hot May long weekend(one of the few i can remember!) we were camping and took a walk on the beach. while walking though the water he seemed to enjoy it, so my husband walked further in (up to his knees) and called him. he just instantly started to swim to him! He was hooked! we don't have a pool, but have bought him one of those plastic kiddie pools($15 at walmart) when it's hot we fill it up and he just loves to lie in the water and roll around. he dunks his head under and loves it! My pics are not all digital, i have some old ones of him in his pool- wish i could post them- hilarious! Happy swimming,K

One question- how do they get out of the pool?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are stairs built in so that it is easy to get out. The first step is small. For the second step we are having them build a "reef" so that you can sit and wade in the pool. It will also have a third step at the bottom, I think they build it in when they do the shotcrete.

The trick is to keep showing the dog where the steps are until he knows.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
THREE MORE WORDS ...........WHEN'S THE PARTY!!!!

(I didn't know how to make my words big and blue like Ty's Marty did.)

·
Mom to Holly and Rosie
3,174 Posts
We live in South Florida from Oct to May and Michigan during the summer. In Florida, we have a pool that both dogs enjoy. We have steps, so the introduction to the pool was easier. They were apprehensive at first.....we would go the the center of the pool with a treat......you can figure out the rest! They love it so much, that sometimes we let them out to pee just before bed...they pee and then go for a swim! Nothing like sleeping with a scent of a wet dog beside your bed!!;) It's hard to keep them out once they realize it's fun! Now Michigan is a different story. We are on a channel between two lakes. The water is very mucky and dirty. Canadian geese in the yard on a daily basis. Guess who chases them and jumps in?? Goldens Love water!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
It looks like the blonde dog in the back is trying to hurry up the one in the front. How old are the dogs?

·
Mom to Holly and Rosie
3,174 Posts
Appears that way.....this was Holly's first introduction to the pool.(4 months oldin the photo) She was very apprehensive. We thought the older dog, Jenny (age 11 in the photo) would teach her:)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
And did she teach her?

·
Mom to Holly and Rosie
3,174 Posts
LOL

No, Jenny didn't teach her. It was us, standing in the center of the pool with the treat jar (that sings "who let the dogs out" and "houndog" when it opens). Amazing what food/treats will do!

LOL

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Now that I would love to have seen. Did you do a little dance with the "who let the dogs out" song? Hope this was a private pool.

·
Registered
101 Posts
do most or all goldens learn how to swim on their own? I want to bring my golden to a pond or lake once he gets all his shots and see if he'll go in on his own and swim. He seems to like water, we turn the sprinkler on and he runs around in it all the time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
We have had Sophie for about a month now and she is slowly working her way into the pool. She started and is still on the first step however, she will now walk out in the backyard and plop herself right down. I have walked her in and swam back with her to the step and she seems to do fine. I think it's just a matter of time before she is inseparable with the water.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
try supporting the dog under the belly first until they get the hang of it and use all positive re inforcement and let the dog know that the water is ay - ok:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Pool Training

Building and using the steps is a great idea. Trained ours to use the steps excusively. A.) I know they can get in and out of the pool when I'm not around and B.) I didn't want 85 lbs of fur jumping off the edge into my lap while I was floating on a raft enjoying a cold drink. Think long and hard about throwing a ball and getting them to jump in....once they find out it's fun, making them stop will be difficult. So both of ours, (Ben/5 and Jerry/7) use the steps to sit and cool off from the Florida summer sun, take a lap then go roll in the grass. When we're swimming they walk down the stairs just like we do and then swim laps with us. You will both enjoy it. Little bit more work on the skimmer but they're happy and that's what counts.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts