Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unsure if this belongs under the ''Grooming'' section (first time posting)...

Questions: my 14 month old purebred GR scratches his ears more than usual. I believe it's a combination of a small buildup of ear wax and water after swimming.

Context: I've been taking him swimming a lot lately. Long before that, this past winter our vet said there is some wax build up at the bottom of his ear canals and suggested I do a weekly cleaning with a product, Pro-Otic Ear Cleansing-Ear Drying solution. Our puppy hates it soooo much we have ''bottle'' trauma, meaning anything that resembles the bottle of ear cleaning solution, he refuses to come, panics, runs, etc. so we don't do it often. Furthermore, we don't administer it with him lying down as per the directions (he refuses). I don't know if it's the scent (he hates his puppy shampoo too) or that it's cold or what...

I hear a small squelching noise when I massage the base of his ear canal and I worry it's trapped fluid and might lead to an infection. Our new vet said it's likely some wax. I'm not ready to go to the vet's for them to remove it. I'm looking for solutions as we have a long life of swimming and ear wax ahead of us. I need a long-term solution that works!

My question is, for regular ear cleaning, is the product not working because we aren't administering it with him laying down or should I warm up the fluid, to help soften the wax, or use a saline solution? For an after swimming treatment, should I continue with this homemade solution of purified water and hydrogen peroxide (a drying agent only for after swimming)? Should I make it slightly warm? What do dogs like?

I prefer to have a solution in place we can do at home. I don't know any groomers in the area. The ear canal is a sensitive place; I don't want just any body messing with it. So am looking for other people's ideas on this forum! Thanks!

·
Kate
22,273 Posts
My dogs swim frequently - I aim for every week. Sometimes they get to go swimming 2-3 times a week.

And they do not get ear infections.

I do not pre-treat, post-treat, and generally do not clean the ears very often. <= I clean them when they are dirty. And then I just use alcohol wipes just very quick swabby around and done.

The ears ARE kept trimmed (clear around the ear canals and dense fur under the ears behind the ears on the ears and going down the neck thinned out), which helps prevent some yeast buildup in and around the ears.

My issue with any routine treatments of healthy ears is basically you are frazzing the ear canals, possibly getting rid of "good" bacteria, and just making your dog's ears all swampy as you describe...

·
Super Moderator Leader
51,654 Posts
I have always cleaned my guys ears out weekly-I use a mixture of equal parts white vinegar, alcohol, and water. I soak a cotton ball, place it in each ear, rub the base of the ear, then wipe out with a clean cotton ball.

I have always taken my guys swimming often in the summer months, anytime I have taken them swimming or given them a bath, I clean the ears out using the above mixture.

Then I place a dab of the Healthy Ear Recipe in each ear, massage the base of the ear.

Here is a thread you may want to read through-

https://www.goldenretrieverforum.co...ology-breed-standard/490217-ear-troubles.html

·
Puddles
4,020 Posts
Ask the vet to show you how to put the drops in. The ear canal has a very sharp right turn and if you don't get the meds all the way down the canal the meds won't help. Always put your pup on a leash before going for the bottle, don't give them the chance to run and hide. Doesn't take long for them to figure out this behavior works :) Once the ears are clean you the vet can give you a good "maintenance" type ear wash. Anytime your pup goes into the water it's a good idea to put some solution in there to dry up the inside of the ear.

I'm never had an issue with ear infections but clean out my pups ears weekly.

FYI your pup has associated pain with this process. Get some treats and give a reward when you do this process so they can begin to associate good things with this maintenance process.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts