Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its me again, the newbie with thousands of questions....

QOD:

We don't have any beaches nearby, but lots of forest preserves and lots of ponds/small lakes, etc. Not the kind that humans can swim in, however. Is this type of lake 'safe' for Duffy to swim in? Not now, I don't mean when he is still a pup. But say, this summer when he is almost a year old. Are these forest preserve small lakes full of bacteria and goose poop and dangerous things for a dog? Other than the mud/muck, I mean?

Or could I take a long line and let him have at it? I'm dying to let him swim!

What's your opinion on this?

Kris

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
i let Honey swim in Tennessee river.I don't know what is cleaner your pond or river!?LOL I try to keep her out of water when its gets all green,but other time -yes.Make sure clean ears after and rinse our.

·
Registered
735 Posts
It's worth a try, but if humans don't swim there, I wouldn't chance it with Duffy. We have a state park/forest preserve with a lake a few miles from home, but both times Farley's swum there he's gotten major league hotspots. By the time we were through at the vet's, they ran about $200 per incident.

·
and Miss Riley and Jake
686 Posts
Unless it is an established area for swimming, I would be hesitant to have the pups in the lake. Besides the concerns you mentioned in your post, I always worry about the presence of broken glass, wire, fish hooks on lines,etc., etc. that people who don't care have left behind. Not worth the risk to me.:no:

Try researching for some training clubs. Sometimes they have areas for swimming. And of course they may charge you, but at least you have some assurance the area is safe for the pups. You'll find some place for Duffy to swim...... it just may take awhile to find it.:)

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll research some training clubs. That's a good idea. I am in the Chicago area and there is a dog beach at Lake Michigan, but it is quite far from me and in the heart of the city (i.e., not an easy drive by any means). Other than that....not finding anything. Crazy, isn't it?

Of course, all the dog parks (and none with swimming) are at least an hours' drive away too.

Kris

·
and Miss Riley and Jake
686 Posts
Kris,

I know what you mean. Living in this area we are not as fortunate as a lot of other golden owners who have easy and immediate access to swimming areas. We are always on the look out for some place to take the kids swimming ..... and not had the greatest luck so far. We've never been to the Lake either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts