Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so last night, i brought layla over to a friend's house. she has a cocker spaniel/poodle mix that she rescued that layla has enjoyed playing with since she was a puppy. however, layla was chewing on this dog's piece of rolled up "pig hide". the moment the other dog was interested and started chasing her, layla darted away growling, and swallowed a fairly big piece of the hide. she then proceeded to go back at him, try to bite him, and strong-armed him. we took her home directly after to show her that it wasn't okay.

she's also done the same thing to my min-pin. layla is a "i want your toy just because you have it" kind of dog, so will steal anything lola has. they've gotten into fights because layla eats her own food then tries to bulldoze lola out of the way to eat her's as well. we already feed them in seperate rooms. :(

- first of all, i'm wondering if this pig skin is easily digested. she ate her breakfast as usual today and pooped just fine. i'm still worried and i have no idea how she managed to swallow it.

- secondly, what can i do to discourage the food/chew toy aggression. she is only protective over edible toys like pig ears, braids, hides, etc. i've tried removing the toy when she's mean to another dog, but she growls at me when the situation is escalated.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
If it is the edible toys like chews, unfortunately you are only going to be able to give them to her if she is in a crate or seperated from the other dogs. You can work on what is called resource guarding by finding a good treat that they really love and do the trade for whatever they have. Dont pull it away from them because that can cause the agression.
You can look up on the web Nothing In Life Is Free (NILIF) and that has some good information to help and resource guarding which I think is different.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Jean Donaldson has a section on resource guarding in her book "Dogs are From Neptune" and also an entire book devoted to dealing with resource guarding called "Mine"
You might find these helpful.

·
Premium Member
Lush, Mystic, Hiphop, Dreamer, Sayer, Fable, Magic, Chelsea, Chapin, Cambridge, and Velvet
16,453 Posts
Jean Donaldson has a section on resource guarding in her book "Dogs are From Neptune" and also an entire book devoted to dealing with resource guarding called "Mine"
You might find these helpful.
Great recommendation

1 - 4 of 4 Posts