Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy somehow got a hold of a pin on my computer desk and ate the end of it (not the pointy part, just the end that goes underneath a shirt to keep the pin in place. He just had his 9 week shots today. This situation has scared me a bit.

I tried to get it as he was chewing it, but by the time I got to him it was too late. I tried to induce vomiting by stickin my finger down his throat, but that wasn't working. He had it about 15 minutes ago. He is acting perfectly normal and I for sure have the pointy part of the pin thrown away now.

Should it just pass through his system, or what should I do? The end was about the size of a pea.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I would call the ER. The main issue is going to be passing out of the stomach into the intestine - it is a small opening. Sometimes they recommend inducing vomiting, hydrogen peroxide is given based on weight, and sometimes they recommend feeding something like bread to cushion sharp edges.

We've all been there. Good luck.

·
Rudy's Lucky Dad
8,151 Posts
Our Andy ate my birthday cake that was on the dining room table when we left for just a minute - along with the wax "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" letter/candles on tooth picks.

Someone else mentioned bread. Our vet said give him a piece of bread with some Vaseline spread on it and it would coat them and make them easier to pass. He didn't have a problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Called the emergency vet clinic and they said to give him some bread and a tablespoon of peroxide. I did. He threw up the bread twice, but there was no end of the pin. I am going to feed him some more bread and let him sleep. and see how he is in the morning.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They recommended giving him one tablespoon, and if that didn't work, give him two in a total of two hours.

·
Rudy's Lucky Dad
8,151 Posts
Ours didn't want to induce vomiting as it could just have easily gotten stuck on the way up. Maybe because it was toothpicks.

The Vaseline on a piece of bread will coat around it so it can pass. I'm not a vet, but that made sense to us.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts