Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to seek out any advice that people might have for making a move easier on a golden. Lily is just a year now, and is still a slightly anxious puppy. We have traveled with her a fair amount, but I was not sure if there were strategies on helping a dog transition during a move. This move was unexpected, but we are packing up from Washington and moving to NYC.

In addition, Lily is scared of traffic and loud cars, so any advice on how to make it easier for her to live in Manhattan would also be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
18,600 Posts
You could start desensitizing her now, see if you can find a recording of street noises and play it on a low level regularly. It might help.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I would make sure you have a lot of high value treats on hand and work on counter conditioning her. Traffic is tough because it's so unpredictable. I would start working on a marker with her (either a clicker or a verbal marker, I use YES). As long as she doesn't shut down in fear, you can start with saying YES (or clicking) when something startles her and give her a treat. Timing is everything. The idea is to get her to look at you happily when something startles her. It does work, but it can take time.

My older golden is very sound sensitive, so we have had to work with him quite a bit. Skateboards scare(d) him horribly, so every time we saw a skateboard coming towards or up behind us on our walks, I would give the verbal marker and a treat. He is still a bit nervous around them but not panicked like he was.

I also use the "look" command a lot. If I don't happen to have treats with me, I can use "look" and he will look back at me. That seems to break his concentration from whatever was spooking him.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
As far as transitioning, try the BEST you can to keep her routine regular. That helps a dog find comfort in the new environment. Don't be alarmed if she regresses in her training. When we moved Max was a two year old, and she started having accidents in the house. Only for a short while, but we had to re crate her to help her adjust. Remember too, dogs feel our emotions sometimes better than us, so if she seems stressed take a moment and give her some attention it would probably give you both some help.

I don't know anything about dogs in NYC but I know there are a lot there. Are you moving to the city proper? I love NYC but I actually lived outside in Westchester Co, near White Plains. I love the area.

Good luck on your move.

Ann

·
Registered
274 Posts
You could start desensitizing her now, see if you can find a recording of street noises and play it on a low level regularly. It might help.
I would do this if I were in your situation. I hope this helps Lily to get prepared to live in a busy NYC life. Good luck!:crossfing

1 - 5 of 5 Posts