Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
Here's another question.... Do I pick the puppy out for my son and let him be surprised on Christmas morning, or let him pick out his puppy himself?
I'm torn...
Thanks Lisa

·
16,000 Posts
Let the breeder do it!!!!! No one knows the puppies better, and after living with/caring for, and evaluating puppies, breeders are much better equipped to make a good, life-long placement. It is SO important that the right puppy goes to the right home...

*Disclaimer - I'm not a fan of puppies as "surprises" for people for the same reason - the dog HAS to right the person, and I'm definately not a fan of puppies going into new homes over the holidays. Waiting until the hoopla and stress is over is much better for the puppy, and ultimately the new family.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
My vote...let your son be part of the choosing process then pick the puppy up after the holidays.

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
Are you picking a pup from a Breeder or are you rescuing a Pup?
If you're using a Breeder, they can better match a pup to your family circumstances. If you are Rescuing, then you can determine as you meet the pups you're considering. There is a 6 month old Male up for adoption. His info was just posted here at the forum. I don't know where you are or exactly where he is either, just Portland...but thought I'd share.
http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/showthread.php?t=68510

There have been many Rescue Happy Endings to share here at the Forum.

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
Yes...let him and or the breeder help pick the puppy. But you could fill a gift box full of puppy stuff leash, bowl, treats, puppy toys and maybe a picture of the litter of puppies he will get the idea...then maybe pick the puppy up sometimes over the weekend. Good luck...

·
16,000 Posts
Children are rarely capable of making an informed selection of a puppy. Many adults are not! The puppy must fit the entire family's lifestyle, and needs to be of a temperament suitable for that particular family's needs/environment.
Having children help in the selection of a name, and of toys, beds, collars and leashes, etc, will allow them to feel involved and that their opinion is respected - which IS very important! - without the possibility of making a bad choice that effects not only the family, but the puppy, as well. I cannot imagine a breeder allowing a child to make the decision.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I agree, let the breeder choose the puppy. Give as much information to the breeder about what you are looking for as you can, and the breeder should do a good job of matching you up.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
I agree with Pointgold, and I'd add that many (most?) good breeders won't send a puppy home on Christmas. I hope you're not planning on a pet store purchase or something of the sort. With any luck, you'll have this dog for 15 years, so you want to take the best possible shot at avoiding the common diseases in this breed, which means picking a carefully bred animal, regardless of timing.

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
I believe the OP told in another thread that she was going to get the pup from a friend of a lady she met in church, whose golden had just had puppies...That friend may be a breeder of course...

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
Yes...let him and or the breeder help pick the puppy. But you could fill a gift box full of puppy stuff leash, bowl, treats, puppy toys and maybe a picture of the litter of puppies he will get the idea...then maybe pick the puppy up sometimes over the weekend. Good luck...
This is a great idea! I'm excited just thinking about him opening up the box of puppy gear and taking a second to realize what that means! :)

I second what others say here about waiting for the puppy to come home shortly after Christmas. Children are overly excited when it comes to Christmas presents, and adding that with puppy excitement, well I can't even imagine what that would be like for a new little puppy...

Also in agreeance with PointGold that the breeder should be the one to match a puppy to your family's lifestyle.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I like the idea of having your son open a gift of dog supplies. Since you already have dogs maybe include a picture of a golden in there. I don't see a problem with going to get the pup later that day though. Depending on what your Christmas Day will be like. If you plan on spending a quiet day at home, I say go get the puppy! But if you are having company over or going somewhere, I agree with waiting.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
I would second the gift of the supplies, crate, etc... which would bring home the message that he's getting a puppy, and then allow you to puppy proof, get rid of the tree and all the new gifts etc. before the pup comes home. Bringing home a surprise puppy on Christmas day is going to add a LOT to your workload for the day, a puppy will need your full attention! You won't be able to make dinner or relax (been there, done that!).

Lana

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm not sure how old your son is, but most kids would be happy with ANY puppy, whether they've chosen it or not. In our situation, my kids DID get to pick our puppy, but therey were only two to choose from, and the breeder believed that either one would be a good choice for our family. If the breeder would have recommened one puppy over the other, I would've listened to her advice. Maybe your breeder can help narrow it down, and your son can pick out the best one from the breeder's recommendations.

As the others have commented, I would definitely wait until after the holiday chaos has slowed down before bringing the puppy home. The puppy will need your undivided attention for awhile after you bring him/her into your house.

Regardless of what you decide to do, enjoy the little fluffball! They are a ton of work, especially in the beginning, but it is absolutely worth it. Have fun! :)

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I would let the breeder do it. Your son will be thrilled either way. I agree with waiting until after the holidays. When I was growing up, Christmas mas absolute craziness for like 3 days. But over the years its gotten more calm. 2 years ago I actually had a 3 month old foster puppy who I got 6 days before Christmas. He went with me to my moms house and then my grandmas, and was great. He was a super social little thing though, and had no problem with the noise and wrapping paper everywhere. And I love looking at pictures from that Christmas because Petey is in all of them. I sure miss that little guy...should have adopted him myself...but he lives in a mansion in Pittsburgh now and they feed him New York strip on Sundays when they have family dinner, so I definitely can't complain. I wish they would have adopted me too!

·
Magica Goldens
1,363 Posts
Hi all!
Here's another question.... Do I pick the puppy out for my son and let him be surprised on Christmas morning, or let him pick out his puppy himself?
I'm torn...
Thanks Lisa
I hate to be the party pooper here - but these puppies were born on November 14th? Six weeks is really too young to go to their homes - for christmas or for any other reason. Consider waiting a couple of weeks until the puppy is old enough to leave mom and his littermates. Life and the holidays will have settled down a bit - by all means go and visit the babies after Christmas, but wait to bring the puppy home on January 9th when he's 8 weeks old.
Erica

·
16,000 Posts
I hate to be the party pooper here - but these puppies were born on November 14th? Six weeks is really too young to go to their homes - for christmas or for any other reason. Consider waiting a couple of weeks until the puppy is old enough to leave mom and his littermates. Life and the holidays will have settled down a bit - by all means go and visit the babies after Christmas, but wait to bring the puppy home on January 9th when he's 8 weeks old.
Erica

I missed this. No puppy should be going to a new home, and especially not one with children, over the holidays or ANYtime, at 6 weeks old.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
I missed this. No puppy should be going to a new home, and especially not one with children, over the holidays or ANYtime, at 6 weeks old.
I also vote for this motion. Some puppies do fine when taken home at 6 weeks, but many aren't ready and miss out on learning crucial bite inhibition and dog socialization skills.

You're getting advice from experienced breeders here (not me, but PG and MT). Listen to them!

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Brady was a Christmas present for my kids, but he was not ready until mid-January. This worked out perfect, because my kids were able to plan for him with me.

We spent hours writing down names and trying to agree with one. Plus, they assisted in the puppy proofing and selecting his new toys, leash and collar. It really made the big day, even more special.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
The holiday thing - wait until after Christmas Day for sure, and if the puppy isn't 8 weeks, don't take him away from his mom and siblings. I know with my son, he's off until New Years, and if everything is settled down I wouldn't be against the idea of having the puppy there after all the festivities - as long as he's 8 weeks old that is.

As for having the breeder pick - not everyone who has golden puppies are what the people posting mean by "breeders" so don't just let the person who has the puppies pick if they don't fit that definition. I myself picked out Max. I knew I wanted a boy and there were 3 boys. They all looked the same. I picked up the first one, and aww, it's cute. I picked up the second one and my heart fell. I knew he was my puppy. If you have a moment like that, pick the one your heart is telling you to. Max couldn't be more perfect for our family - he just belonged with us and my heart recognized that the moment I held him.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts