Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to everyone out there in Golden world. Just wondering if anyone had any advice or stories regarding surgical AI. I am considering this method for my female because the male has passed away and the specimen is frozen. Please share anything that you feel might be important.

Thank you,
Kate

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
My girl Lucy's mom just had a litter from AI. The stud was dead for I believe 4 years. She had 8 pups (1 girl, 7 boys). Dam is 4 years old. So the older frozen doesn't seem to have limited the size of the litter. I'm not a breeder so I don't know much about the whole thing. What are your concerns?

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
If you are doing a frozen breeding, surgical is the only way to go. I have done three surgicals and all went very well, with normal deliveries and healthy litters.

Progesterone testing is a must, as timing is everything with frozen. This is not the time to skimp.

I am doing a frozen breeding (my first) using semen from my boy who has been gone for awhile (my avatar). I was taken aback at how expensive it has been, and we have just started progesterone testing. The initial charge to my credit card was $950 for the tank used to ship the semen ($450 was refunded once the tank was returned) and almost $300 in total for shipping. At least I won't have a stud fee to pay ;)

Another experienced breeder suggested spinning and freezing blood in case we have to check for the LH surge. I am going to ask my repro vet about that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's interesting. Why would you spin/freeze blood? I am lucky on the cost the person is paying to ship and splitting cost for male pick. I am so excited. She should be going in to heat in about a month. One more question... Do you notice your female thinning before her heat cycle?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
The spinning and freezing is in case you need to find when the LH surge occurred.

I'm not sure what you mean about thinning. My girls often shed after their heat cycle. This time of year, all of my dogs need more food or they will lose weight.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
How old is your bitch? Has she been bred before? Some breeders recommend upping food before the bitch comes into season to help her release more eggs. You should try to join the Golden Retriever Discussion Group on Facebook. If I owned the frozen, I wouldn't be paying for shipping even if I were taking a puppy. Sounds like you are lucky and have a very excited stud dog owner! I will keep fingers crossed all goes well for you! :)

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
I didn't increase the amount of my girl's food, but as soon as she showed signs of going into season, I moved her to a Performance 30/20 food, and the occasional raw egg thrown in as well. You definitely do not want her going in to this thin. Her body needs to think that there will be plenty of food, and good quality food at that. I was told on the FB group not to stress about weight gain (unless it is just out of control) until after she has ovulated and the eggs have implanted.

I second the idea to join one of the FB groups. I actually am a member of several, some Golden specific and some all breeds.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How old is your bitch? Has she been bred before? Some breeders recommend upping food before the bitch comes into season to help her release more eggs. You should try to join the Golden Retriever Discussion Group on Facebook. If I owned the frozen, I wouldn't be paying for shipping even if I were taking a puppy. Sounds like you are lucky and have a very excited stud dog owner! I will keep fingers crossed all goes well for you! :)

She is almost 3. She has never been bred successfully. We tried last cycle, but no tie.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
I had a bitch that I could not get pregnant (using fresh chilled). Finally, I tried a surgical AI and she became pregnant with 8 puppies :) This was fresh semen from my own stud dog, not frozen or chilled. The vet was able to look at her uterus and everything was fine. Her daughters have proven to be very fertile.

Frozen is not necessarily the best choice for a girl who has had issues conceiving, but if it is good quality semen and you do progesterone testing up till the time of insemination, your chances should be good. And the vet will be able to see if there are cysts, etc. in the uterus, and even pop them before implantation.

Exciting times ahead!

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
My girl Lushie conceived 12 puppies with semen from 1996. The key was timing- getting the progesterone surge and the going two more days past that. There was only a 12 hour window to get it right. 30/20 food was recommended, and I added fresh toppings to that.

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
I did a surgical AI frozen breeding successfully in 2010. Like others have said--lots of progesterone to get the timing right, and do the surgical especially if the motility is low when they defrost it. TCI can be very good, but if you are going to the trouble of using semen that is is finite supply, you want to maximize your chances. If your vet has the facilities to store the semen once it arrives, I would recommend shipping now and storing it where the breeding will be done. My bitch came in season right before a holiday here. Luckily the day it needed to be shipped was not a holiday in the US, so I still got it the day I needed it--but had it been coming from elsewhere in Canada I would have been in trouble!! My vet now has a storage tank, so if I do a frozen breeding in the future I would get it here earlier to alleviate those shipment worries.

Very glad I did the breeding--the sire lived to 15, and I got lots of working ability--the boy just turned three earlier this month, and finished his MH on Saturday.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Congrats on MH! I am lucky! My repro vet is in the same facility as the canine cryogenic sperm bank. The owner of the semen is shipping in the next few days. I am pretty sure my bitch is about 3-4 weeks out still. Her last cycle started May 29th. I'm anxious but very excited. They are going to be English Creams.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts