Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

141 - 150 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey everyone,

I was on here a few years ago for my golden retriever. My golden is now 8 years old and he is still running around perfectly! Here is what I've been doing

1. Glyco Flex- Stage 1-3. I currently have him on stage 1 because he didn't need the higher level stages. Definitely look them up, they are miracles. They contain all the stuff we have said previously- glucosamine etc.
2. Zyflamend- I learned about this from Dr. Peter Dobias, the holistic vet. It's a natural anti-inflammatory. It contains organic herbs to help reduce inflammation, and has worked wonders.
3. I sprinkle Turmeric on his food. Natural anti-inflammatory, also great for preventing cancer and free radicals etc.
4. Fish oil- as you all know the omega 3's and 6's are crucial.

He's 8 years old now and still running strong! Talk about proving my old vet wrong.

During this time I switched to a more holistic vet. He's been getting acupuncture to reduce inflammation as well. Another crucial aspect is to make sure you aren't giving your dog food with any fillers like soybean, grains, wheat flour etc. I feed my dogs raw, and when I'm being lazy, Orijen. Champion pet foods make Orijen and Acana, both top notch dry foods. Feel free to message me for questions or concerns!

Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have you had any problems with ear infections etc. my poor Max keeps having problems I have racked up $800 vet bills and infections still come back. I was trying to find any solutions to keep ears clear by other remedies. If anyone knows info please email at
[email protected]
Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I hope there are still some visitors to this thread. I'm starting Duke, our 9.5 years old tripawd boy, on Dasuquin and Nordic Naturals Omega 3 liquid today. Can someone help me with determining the daily amount of Omega 3 for him. He's 50-55 pounds and label says that one teaspoon is equal to 1560mg total Omega 3, 745mg EPA and 500mg DHA. For his weight how much should Duke get per day?

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,776 Posts
I hope there are still some visitors to this thread. I'm starting Duke, our 9.5 years old tripawd boy, on Dasuquin and Nordic Naturals Omega 3 liquid today. Can someone help me with determining the daily amount of Omega 3 for him. He's 50-55 pounds and label says that one teaspoon is equal to 1560mg total Omega 3, 745mg EPA and 500mg DHA. For his weight how much should Duke get per day?
Here is info from Nordic's website dosage info-

Product Details

Suggested daily use for dogs 19-79 lbs.
20-39 lbs: 0.5 teaspoon (2.5 mL) (94 servings/bottle)
391 mg EPA/230 mg DHA/713 mg total omega-3s
40-59 lbs: 1.0 teaspoon (5.0 mL) (47 servings/bottle)
782 mg EPA/460 mg DHA/1426 mg total omega-3s
60-79 lbs: 1.5 teaspoons (7.5 mL) (31 servings/bottle)
1173 mg EPA/690 mg DHA/2139 mg total omega-3s
Do not exceed the suggested daily use without consulting your Veterinarian.
I put the recommended dosage for your boy's weight in bold.

There's more info at the link above about this product.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Post Elbow Dysplasia Surgery

My 1.5 year old female golden, Zoe, had Elbow endoscopy surgery on June 1. After surgery she still limped a little, so I decided that physical therapy could be beneficial (and my pet insurance covers most of it - yay!). Her surgeon had wanted to do PRP injections, but I wanted to try a less invasive option first. Her PT is swimming, ESWT (shockwave treatment), and laser treatment. The therapist gave her Ligaplex, taking 2 twice a day. She is already on Cosequin Max twice a day, and omega 3 supplements as well.
Her therapist recommended the supplement - LubriSyn HA. Has anyone used that? I've read a few reviews on Amazon and Chewy, but wanted to see if any fellow golden owners have used it in a similar situation.

·
Registered
598 Posts
My 14.5 yr old Border Collie was going downhill fast. She was within days of my having to help her over the Rainbow Bridge. As a last try I bought these. Note: I have never had any success with this type of supplement with other older dogs.

She has bad elbows and a growth on her side that has been getting bigger of late. One night it looked like the end, and I almost took her to the emergency room to be PTS. I remembered these at a close by Walmart and bought a bag. Within 2 weeks, she was like a new dog..running and playing with my other dogs. That was 4 weeks ago and I thought it might just be a last spurt. NO..She is enjoying her life once again and I am very thankful. No illusions, but it can't simply be a coincidence..something wonderful happened:)

https://www.amazon.com/VetIQ-Maximum-Strength-Joint-Supplement/dp/B01BLGTV60/ref=sr_1_5?gclid=Cj0KCQjw0IDtBRC6ARIsAIA5gWsdE-jPIkr4FPh1xzLAWpLlhu8_Xvf3MBABI1DceilRgcI-WhRFOkkaAsd0EALw_wcB&hvadid=178360922380&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9030898&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=b&hvrand=7799069395585534263&hvtargid=kwd-186044700081&hydadcr=15918_9887393&keywords=vetiq+hip+%26+joint+chews+for+dogs&qid=1570801039&sr=8-5

·
Registered
7 Posts
Omega-3 fatty acids definitely work to reduce inflammation! You just have to make sure they're water soluble or that you mix them with something (cottage cheese, quark) to make them water soluble, or else they won't absorb.

141 - 150 of 150 Posts